Tuesday, June 1, 2010

May Quote Book

I was tucking Briggy into bed and he was telling me about his day. It's always so insightful:
"Mommy, I'm gonna tell you what nobody means. Nobody is when someone wreck-ted Clayton and Isaac's Lego elevator and they got super mad and said, 'Grrr Who wreck-ted our elevator?' That's what nobody means."
good. I'll remember that next time nobody does something else naughty.


I was loading my huge cardboard "Time Machine" into the car to take to Primary today.

Brig: Yay! Are we doing the Time Machine again? Oh, I can't wait to see Santa Claus! I can't wait!
Last time "Noah" came to visit. He made the mistake of looking a lot like Santa with his white beard and spent the rest of Primary trying to convince the children otherwise.


Brig: When I grow up I want to be a fighter-fighter.
Me: You mean a fire fighter?
Brig: Yeah. A fire-fire.


Isaac was chatting (loudly) with another boy in his class. When I came over, he put his arm around the boy and introduced me to him (overjoyed).
"Mom, this is my friend. He just moved here from China so he doesn't speak English. But that's okay! I can still talk to him!"
I guess everyone needs a friend sometimes who only listens.


We were in a hurry to clean up the toys before bed. So Clayton jimmy-rigged a contraption to funnel the Lego pieces into the proper bucket through a series of ramps (lids) and other toys.
Me: Clayton, that defeats the purpose. It's easier to just put the Legos directly into the bucket.
Clayton: You mean it defeats your purpose, right?
Me: Huh?
Clayton: If I put the Legos directly into the bucket it would defeat my purpose. Which is to have fun.
Grrr, do you see what I put up with? Living in a house full of little lawyers?


Clayton and Isaac ran downstairs to find Nate.
Isaac: Daddy, we're all ready for bed. So can you tell us now?
Nate: Uh. . . tell you what?
Isaac: I don't know! Just tell us about something we don't know yet!
Ah, they know their daddy well. Nate is our very own walking breathing fountain of knowledge. And he specializes in "telling" interesting things. Tonight's topic was offshore drilling.


We have a no-church-shirt policy for Sunday dinner.

"Mom, can you take off my shirt faster? Hurry! Before my broccomoli gets even more hotter!"
Um. that would be broccoli. . . getting colder. And yes, I'm hurrying as fast as I can. I wouldn't want you to miss any of that delicious broccomoli.


Clayton:
When I grow up I'll be famous. Because I think I'm going to discover something smaller than a quark.

Me: Uh. . . alright. Good luck with that, kiddo. Now go do your drills. You're at soccer practice for heavens sake!


me: Uhh. Why is there a pile of dead bugs on the kitchen table?
Briggy: I save-ded them all. I did. I save-ded them.
me: You saved them from what?
(I can only imagine from what horrors a bug might need rescuing. . .)
Briggy: For you, mom. I save-ded them all for you.
gee. thanks.


me:
Clayton thinks WAY too deeply about the scriptures. Seriously. Why can't he just read them vaguely like I do?

Nate: He can't help it. He's like me.
fine. then you're in charge of clarifying 1 Nephi 14:17 to a seven-year-old.

.

2 comments:

Emily said...

my favorite month of quotes so far. . .

Allison said...

These quotes just made my day.