Friday, July 23, 2010

The Happiest Place On Earth


I didn't realize how retro my kids were until I tried to explain Disneyland to them, "It's a place where all your favorite Disney movies come to life!"
"You mean like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?"
No.
"Like Herbie?"
No.
"Oh, you mean like Bednobs and Broomsticks?"
No.
I waited for them to ask about Swiss Family Robinson because I remembered the tree house there. . . and then I remembered they changed it to Tarzan's tree house. Never mind.

We had some serious Disney movie catching up to do. Thank goodness for long car drives. My kids are now up to par with the rest of the universe on Nemo, Buzz Lightyear, Dumbo, and Alice. Thank you Disney.


I loved Disneyland when I was a kid. Loved it.
I loved it a hundred times more with my own kids.


The ticket lady handed the kids their own maps. Before they were even through the gate these guys were on the ground planning and plotting. . . this picture still makes me smile.


It felt nice to leave the sweltering Texas heat and actually wear jackets in June!


Favorite Rides:


Isaac: "Buzz Lightyear, Star Wars, Casey Junior, and. . .
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!"


Yup. It turns out they did have a Chitty Bang Bang ride after all!
(close enough anyway)


Clayton: "Space Mountain. Actually every ride with a mountain."
(he went on Thunder Mountain 6 times, Space Mountain 4, and Splash Mountain 2)


Brigham: "The ride that was really scary but that I wasn't scared that goes on a log that goes straight down a huge waterfall that sings 'my oh my what a wonderful day'. . . yeah, that was sure my favorite."


Eliza waiting in line for her favorite ride.


She sang, bounced, squealed, clapped and enjoyed "Small World" so much we took her twice.


I had never been to Toon Town. I wasn't missing much. It wasn't anyone's favorite part of Disneyland but for some reason (maybe out of boredom?) I took most of my pictures there.




The boys were determined to laser blast everyone in Tomorrow land with their Space Ranger blasters.


Here they are just doin' their thing. As you can see, the crowd was super impressed.


And at the end of the day they thought they were so cool with their light-up-mickey-mouse suckers.


Well, Disneyland? You definitely exceeded all our expectations. We can't wait to go back. . .


to the happiest place on earth!


7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I didn't know they changed the Swiss Family Robinson tree house to Tarzan's tree house. How sad! I guess I will have to catch up with the rest of the world too.

Lots of fun pictures! I sounds like it was a magical adventure for your family!

Emily said...

the tree house is still there. they just changed the name pretty much. But yeah, I was sad too. . .

Jenny said...

So fun! I'm glad you all had such a blast. When I saw the picture in front of Thunder Mountain (I think) I started laughing, because Eliza is not in it, and I totally imagined her taking the picture from her stroller.

Allison said...

It looks like so much fun! I can't wait to go back there again too. We should try and coordinate our next Disneyland trips. I think it would be hilarious to watch your kids there. I love the map picture, and can just imagine Clayton planning out his strategy.

Nikki said...

I have never been to Disneyland, but a few years back we took the kids to Disneyworld, and It is still as magical to me as an adult as it was when I was a kid. Maybe even more so now that I have kids. It looks like you had fun!

Aplanalps said...

Come to Disneyworld! We have 4 parks and still have the swiss family tree house ;) Glad you had fun!

Emily said...

Ooooo. . . My life dream is to go to Disneyworld and visit Hogwarts!!! (now I just need to convince Nate)