Saturday, July 31, 2010

Old Town and Coronado Island


My parents live in Old Town. That's really what it's called. Old Town, San Diego. And it's a great little place to live actually - with street trolleys and outdoor markets, live music, authentic restaurants, quaint little shops, and a fun historic park which consists of a central plaza surrounded by museums, monuments, and restored homes, shops, and buildings of the early settlers. All within blocks of my parents house. This place just feels like a vacation.


The kids had fun exploring and shopping. And Nate and I enjoyed the food (Thanks Dad!) I'm still dreaming about my flautas with that amazing mmmmm. . . white. . . cheese. . . sauce from Zocalo's.


Here we are in front of the courthouse - originally built by the Mormon Battalion.


And peeking in the old jail.


We followed a short (but steep) hiking trail just behind my parents house to this park.


with tons of grass for running. . .


bushes for hiding. . .


and squirrels. . .


that walk up to you (if you sit very still) . . .



and eat right out of your hand.


We also visited the beach on Coronado Island. We totally weren't prepared for the beach. We didn't even bring towels. But sand + water + waves + grandparents who hide big store-bought sea shells on the beach and fake surprise when they're found = happy little boys. Even without towels.


Military planes flying overhead also make for happy boys.


so do sand angels. . .


sand face prints. . .


and sand castles.
I love how he doesn't even notice (or care about) the glob of sand on his nose. . .too excited to point out his handiwork.


Here's Brigham showing off his "find". And wait. Who is that other little boy digging in the sand all by himself in the background?
Oh, that's Nate.


Eliza is quite the beach baby!


Happily sunning with all the other uhh. . . beach girls.


Clayton was hardly seen. He headed out for hours of body surfing and wave diving. I was only slightly frantic. Thankfully Nate kept constant tabs on him - reeling him back into view at my command.


Look at that caked dirt.


No matter how hard we tried, we still ended up with half the beach in our car, clothes, stroller, suitcases, hair, you name it, when all was said and done.


Here are a few more of my favorite beach moments.



I love these two in their matching suits.


And how busily they get to work digging and building.


And there's just something that makes me happy about sitting on the beach with my mom and watching my dad. . .


and my boys. . . (can you spot them all?)


so so happy.

.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Fun, fun, fun! I love Old Town. I'm glad you guys were able to spend time with your parents.

Sheralie said...

Mmm. Old Town Mexican food makes my mouth water. The beach at Coronado is fantastic! I am impressed with Clayton's zeal for the water. Was it cold?

Emily said...

too cold for me. The boys complained about being cold only a little at the end when we were trying to clean up and wouldn't let them roll around in the warm sand. . .

The Gunnerson Family said...

What a beautiful place to live! I love my Woodland home, but living in a place with so much to do right outside the back door would be awesome!