Monday, July 26, 2010

Star of India

The boys have discovered a new passion: Ships.


Particularly Isaac who has been living, breathing and dreaming them ever since my parents took us to the Maritime Museum our first day in San Diego. And I must say it was pretty awesome.


The sound of the ocean, the sail boats, the cool breeze. . .


being with my parents.


It was beautiful.


Just beautiful.


I could have stayed forever.


Plus I learned a few things about my kids. Brigham is not scared of strangers. At all. Not even street mimes. Isaac is (surprisingly) shy around street mimes. Especially kissing ones. And Clayton (true to form) remained skeptical the whole time.



Check it out for yourself. . .
You'll hear Clayton ask if it's a robot. When I tell Isaac to put his coin in you'll hear him giggle and say, "No way! I don't want her to kiss me" and you'll see Brigham walk right up again and again with more money.




We had a great time exploring the Star of India (the oldest active ship in the world), the HMS Surprise (used in the film Master and Commander and my favorite), and two submarines including Clayton's favorite, the B-39 Soviet Sub. The kids were seriously in heaven.





So was Nate.


Brigham and Isaac gravitated (of course) to the cannons and artillery.



While Clayton liked all the mechanisms, gears, and pulleys.


Here they are raising the anchor


and getting ready to set sail.




I loved the rustic feel of wood and ropes,


the symmetry and artistry,


the sound of the sea and creaking planks,


and all the different browns and grays.


It was like stepping back in time.


And picture-perfect from almost every angle.
.

2 comments:

Autumn Foster Cook said...

Wow! Look at those ships! That's got to be any boy's dream vacation stop. (Oh, and Clara's too. She's sitting next to me saying, "I want to go on that!") What fun!

Sheralie said...

I haven't thought to take the children here. Great idea. Absolutely beautiful. A step back in time in one of the BEST cities in the world :)