Saturday, September 11, 2010

Admiral Isaac is Six!

Actually he turned six last month. I'm just keeping with my recent blog tradition of posting everything a month late.
I've mentioned this before but just in case you forgot, Isaac loves ships. (Not pirate ships. He loathes pirate ships and is determined to blast every last one out of the open seas.) Thanks to LOTS of books he got for his birthday and checked out from the library, he is now quite the ship expert and can tell you anything you ever dreamed of knowing about ships, including detailed (graphic) accounts of dozens of famous ships throughout history. His current favorite is the H.M.S. Victory.


So to celebrate his birthday, our family took a day trip to the coast to visit the Battleship Texas Museum.


The boys had no idea what they were in for.
Check out the size of these cannons. . . yeah.


And these two-man anti-aircraft guns.


The entire ship is loa-ded with artillery.


And as you can imagine, the boys were in battleship heaven.


I thought we'd be there for an hour. Only shows how much I know about battleships. They're huge. Nate and the boys spent all day exploring every nook and cranny. Every ladder above and below deck. Every secret door and passageway. Every corridor.


I hung out on deck with Eliza for the most part. Every once in a while we'd see the boys emerge, yell, wave, and then disappear again. . .


for hours.


And when they got tired? Good thing battleships have bunk-beds built for three.


But there's not much time to rest on a battleship. Someone's gotta swab the deck!


And man the crew.


We can't wait to go again.


And here's the captain giving us a big birthday six. . .


Happy Birthday Isaacman!


Isaac remembered the fondant I used to make Brigham's robot cupcakes. He loved it so much he actually requested an all "bondant cake" for his birthday. And he got one.


And. . . for those of us who can't stomach that much fondant. . .
we also had real pudding chocolate cupcakes with real mmm-butter-cream frosting (thanks Sara, I can never go back to powdered sugar frosting again).



Nate used his ebay prowess to get Isaac the coolest non-pirate ship the toy world has to offer.


And a pirate ship. Because who else would he battle with?


I love watching Isaac play. Just check out this next series of pictures and you'll see what I mean. . .







My gift to Isaac? A violin. And a promise to teach him how to play.
Because everyone knows that the greatest of sea captains, of course, know how to play the violin. (such a good movie. . .)


Every time a birthday rolls around I like to do a mini-photo-shoot with the birthday balloons. And every year my kids do not disappoint. Like always, these are so Isaac.


Happy (belated) Birthday Admiral Isaac!
Even a month later, you're still my very favorite six-year-old!
.

2 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

Emily, do you ever get tired of being amazing? Seriously I am exhausted just reading about all the great things you do for/with your kids. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I love your boys. They are so smart, cute, and full of imagination.

Jenny said...

Happy late Birthday Isaac! I am seriously inspired to learn more about ships now. It looks like you had an awesome Birthday! Your Mom is soooo cool!