Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Clayton's Baptism

There are so many things I want to remember about Clayton's baptism. Like how Nate forgot an extra white shirt and wore a wet shirt under his suit coat for the rest of the program. How half the ward rushed back from the Harbor Cruise Tour - sunburned - but eager to help and ready to participate. How flattered all our neighbors felt to be invited (I was nervous for no reason). How they all came bringing gifts and cards (even though we told them they didn't need to bring anything) and how much it meant to Clayton to see them there. Singing "Beautiful Savior" as a family (and all the weeks of practicing together). The video message and testimony my parents sent to Clayton and how they wished they could be there. Isaac's sweet, heartfelt opening prayer. Grandpa Bill's talk and testimony. Becca taking care of (entertaining) Eliza and miraculously keeping her quiet the entire time. How Isaac jumped out of his seat to hug Clayton when he came out of the dressing room. How I cried. . .


I didn't take very many pictures. But here are a few other highlights of Clayton's special day:

Invitation and Baptism Program

Guest sign-in table.

Isaac did an awesome job welcoming guests, handing out programs, reminding them to sign the guest-list. He enjoyed chatting with everyone - telling them all how proud he was of his brother.

My CTR cookies. They turned out so cute. SO delicious. I was very proud of myself (thanks Sara for your flawless recipe). Everybody raved. I seriously felt like a cookie celebrity.

Sister McNeil's gingerbread cookies. She was so happy to be invited. We love Sister McNeil.

"I Am a Child of God" brownies. Thanks Becca for your beautiful food arrangements!

More food. More cookies.

A few primary kids with Clayton after he was confirmed.

What Clayton wrote right after he was baptized.

Clayton, you are an amazing kid. Your baptism day is one that I will remember my whole life as one of my favorite days. I am proud of you and your continual desire to seek, think about, and do the right. Your brothers look up to you and want to be baptized too. Thank you for being a wonderful example. You have been full of questions these last few months (on occasion I have had to really dig to help you find suitable answers) as you have been preparing for and talking to your friends and answering their questions about your baptism. It is a unique blessing and opportunity to belong to the only LDS family in your entire school. You have been learning a lot about other religions and how to be respectful of them. I have seen your testimony grow and I could not be a happier mother. I love you, kiddo.
.

5 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

What a special day! It really is amazing how much they know, and how in tune with the spirit they can be when they are just 8 years old. Of course things look amazing. Of course they would. It is a little different getting baptized in Texas than Utah. Luke was one of 20 that day and we were pretty much rushed into and out of the font and primary room!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations Clayton! What a very exciting and special day!

Jenny said...

I think I had some of the same feelings while reading this as I would have had if I were there for the baptism; feelings of joy, gratitude and pride (the good kind). Congratulations Clayton! You are such a wonderful example to your siblings and your cousins. Brian still asks about you often and I am excited to show him pictures of you dressed in white.

Sheralie said...

I have been waiting for this post. I am so glad it was a beautiful day. It takes a bit of work from mama, I know. I wish we could have been there. And I just love Nate's proud face . . .

Allison said...

Awww, what a special day (and I love the CTR cookies). I wish we could have been there. Clayton looks so grown up. Tell him congratulations from Dave and me.