Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wild West Meets High Society

After a month of constant Wild West shoot-outs, bandit attacks, hold-ups, and sharp-shooting contests. . . oh yeah. . . and the Alamo (How could I forget? No pun intended.), I am happy to pack up the Halloween costumes (and pistols and rifles) and move onto some cozier, jollier, and less rambunctious holidays.


Even without Trick-Or-Treating this year, our Halloween season (it used to be a day - but with the overload of recent activities and events it totally qualifies as a season now) was full to the brim! Besides our usual Halloween Treats, and church/school parties, Nate and I also took the kids to the Houston Symphony Masquerade Ball Performance. My favorite Halloween event to date! We all loved it.


Because seriously. When else can you go to the symphony with Darth Vader?


Or get to see and touch orchestra instruments bigger than you?


The concert was a riot. With Zorro brandishing his baton. Indiana Jones in the cello section. A banana, an astronaut, and a swarm of witches and wizards on violins. The percussion section, all in hard hats and construction uniforms, pounding and hammering. With Dracula, Frankenstein and pirates playing trumpets. . . it was a sight to behold. And the music (Harry Potter, Ghostbusters, Night on Bald Mountain, and Stravinsky's Firebird) was even better!


The kids have been talking about it for days!


After the concert we walked over to Nate's office to check out the view (and raid the candy jar at the front desk).



And when I say walked. . .


I actually mean this. . .



Because when you go anywhere with Buffalo Brig. . .


or Isaac Boone. . .


it's never a relaxing walk in the park.

Never.


Happy Halloween. . . for once and for all!
(at least until next year)
.

3 comments:

Emily said...

p.s. I just posted a cute video of Eliza at the bottom of the "Halloween Preview" post for anyone (mom) who wants to hear Eliza say "Dogga!"

Jenny said...

I am so jealous of the Houston Symphony outing. What a fun way to celebrate Halloween. I'm glad your kids loved it.

The Gunnerson Family said...

What an awesome event. I am sure that it would be one muscial experience that even I would enjoy. Let's just say that one HUGE disappointment that Rick found in marrying me is that I do not share his enjoyment of classical music. He has introduced our kids to it, and I am really happy that they love it too, but unfortunatley I am still not sold.

I am sure that Rick and the boys would have given anything to see such a wonderful show. And Darth Vader? Forget about it. The night would've make the top ten list of best days EVER!

I LOVE how Nate just walks along pretend that there isn't a battle for the west being fought all round him. It seems like he has been around such a battle before!