I can finally post some of the projects I've been up to without spoiling any Christmas surprises. I don't know if it's because I'm stingy or if it's because I'm sentimental. But even when I was little I liked making Christmas gifts. My parents and sisters always humored my really lame hand-stitched (glued, stapled) stuffed toys and my obnoxious homemade audio recordings and photocopied illustrated journal entries. I guess I never out-grew my tradition of self-made gift-giving (no matter how lame) and lucky for me, my family and friends still humor me. Here are a few of my favorites this year. . .For Mom:
I wish I could be Christina. But I'm not so I just (blatantly) copy her ideas. She made a calendar like this a couple years ago and I fell in love with it. My mom currently has 12 grandchildren. So I highlighted one each month. I love the way it turned out.




For Teachers:
These picture holders were a cute way for my boys to give their teachers a personalized (homemade) holiday card.

I made these at midnight to give to all the primary teachers at church the next day.

For Nate:
Nate really is a pancake superhero around here. And every superhero deserves an updated super-suit (man-apron designed by the boys) and gear (pancake pan, spatula, ladle, and real maple syrup) once in a while. He loved it.


I also formatted, printed, laminated, and bound our 2010 quote book. The formatting was a ton of work (which made me glad I let blog2book format the other 900 + pages when I had it printed) but this was definitely the treasure of the year. I'm so glad I kept a record of all these quotes.


For Becca:
Okay, these aren't mine. Clayton, Isaac, and Brigham actually made these cowboy cards to accompany the gift we sent. But I adore them.

For Neighbors:
I made a sloppier, simpler version of Sara's snowflake cookies to give out while caroling to our neighbors this year. Everyone was impressed.





And as it turns out, my kids have inherited my (cheap, somewhat tacky) gift-giving skills. Our Christmas tree was full of homemade gifts (mostly Lego creations) this year. I loved it. My favorite is the Lego-wrapped gift. Any guesses what was inside? Yup, more Legos.

Merry Christmas to all!
(even if I didn't buy you anything)
.
6 comments:
I love it all. I wish I was you. Where do you buy those boxes for giving away the cookies? So impressed, as always! Wish I lived nearer so I could learn how you make cute things.
I, like Sheralie, wish I was you. So, here we are, wishing we were each other :). I LOVE the home made gift idea. Your calendar turned out great. I had no time/energy this year and went digital. Boo.
Where do you get all your energy? I thought about doing all sorts of cute things like this, but in the end, thinking didn't actually get me anywhere, and I went store bought and lame for all our teachers and neighbors.
Hello Gorgeous cookies! And I'm seriously impressed with Brig's cowboy picture- did he do that himself? Also, I found I have to limit myself from looking at your blog because it makes me feel bad about myself. Can we switch places for a month so you can have my kids do adorable art projects, make stuff for my primary teachers, take my family caroling, and write down every adorable thing my kids do and then have it bound in a keepsake book for me? Pretty please??!
The calendar for Mom and Dad turned out so cute! They love it! You have always been so creative and a natural at homemade gifts. They are always the best kind!
I LOVE the calendar, leave it out on the living room chair, and insist that everyone that comes to our place looks through it! I wish I would have done a "quote book" when you were all young. I thought I would never forget all of the cute things you said....but I'm afraid I have (along with almost everything else I can't remember anymore).
Jenny brought the Christmas family videos down to San Diego and I loved watching those over Christmas. Fun memories!
Tim and I surely had a great laugh over the quote about the proteins.
Post a Comment