Thursday, January 27, 2011

Everyone's Favorite Part:

Snow. . . oh. . . oh. . . OH!

We've had a bit of a cold spell lately in Texas. We actually had to wear jackets today. But only a few weeks ago we were at the splash park in shorts and t-shirts. In January. My kids have no idea what cold is. Or snow, for that matter.
So you can imagine the excitement when the first morning in Seattle the kids woke up (at 4:30 a.m. I love that 2-hour time difference) to SNOW! They were seriously so excited they were already outside, in the dark, in their pajamas, making snowballs before I was even awake enough to figure out what and where they were. After a few minutes they came slip-sliding back inside with purple hands and toes, pink cheeks, and huge smiles, "Wow. Snow is really cold, mom!" Yeah. That's why most people don't go out in it with bare feet.
We waited for a few hours (until it didn't seem so middle-of-the-nightish) and then I introduced them to snow hats, gloves, shoes, and coats. And Nate (still in his pajamas) introduced them to trampoline snowball fighting. The boys had the time of their lives. (Until Clayton got hit in the eye with an ice ball. But even then, he was a good sport).









Later on, we all put on our snow clothes and headed further up into the mountains for sledding. The views were spectacular. The sledding was perfect. And the weather was. . . cold. Eliza and I wimped out after a few hours and enjoyed the rest of the time in the warm car (emptying the glove compartment and the entire tissue box, opening every CD case, and eating M&M's) while Becca, Grandpa Bill, Nate, the boys, and Hugo the dog froze their little - I mean, sledded (tumbled, bumped, and crashed) their little hearts out. Until the sun went down. The kids have been talking about it non-stop ever since.













Thanks for such an awesome time - one we will never forget!
(especially here in sunny Texas!)
.

3 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

Yeah, snow is great. That is unless you have it from Otober until May. Seriously, remember the snowstorm on our graduation? May 24th! It is this time of year that I start longing for the snow to melt. And then reminding myself that I live in the mountains of Utah and we will have snow for months to come. I am glad that your boys had such a great time in the snow!

Christina said...

Okay, you said a lot great things. And shared a lot of great memories. But all I really care about is Nate's great hat that he is wearing. The dark green one with the doggies and the pom pom on top. It is seriously making me happy.

Emily said...

hahahaha - yeah, and his Dallas Cowboys parka makes me grin too. Hey, when the weather calls, we wear what we must and borrow what we can - right? Nobody knows how either of those items ended up in the coat closet in Seattle.