Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January 2011 Quote Book

We were listening to "La Boheme" by Puccini. When I turned off the engine the music stopped and with the most bored-monotone voice, Brigham said:
"Wow. I think those guys must have sore throats after singing that long. That's way too much singing for me."
when it comes to opera, I think more than half the world agrees with you, buddy.


Brig was rolling on the floor.

"Um. Daddy? I think there's a dead hermit crab under our couch."

It's a possibility. "Little Red" was known for his ability to escape and wander around the house on occasion.


Brigham's thumbs are finally strong enough to undo the bottom buckle of his car seat.
"I can unbuckle my own self now, mom. So I guess I don't need you at all anymore."
oh. . . sad.


The boys were helping me with my birthday cake.

Isaac:
So, how many candles should we put on it?

Me: Well, how old do you think I am?
Isaac: twenty-three?
Clayton: thirty-three?
Brigham: two thousand and fifty-five?
ha! I'll take them all.


Clayton set up a section of the bedroom (including his top bunk) as a school where he "teaches" Science and Geography classes. Clayton's school has been in session for a few days now and so far the other boys have been surprisingly compliant. I asked Brigham what he learned today:
"I learn-ded about the lands on all sides of the earth even underneath. But I'm glad we don't live there because I bet people fall off the earth a lot down there."
hmm. It might be a good idea for Clayton to teach his next class on gravity.


Eliza is 15 months today. These days she jabbers away nonstop in Eliza-language with a few consistent discernible words. Here they are:
mom-eee (mom)
da (dad)
baby (doll)
dogga (dog)
bah
(ball)
peee-boo (peek-a-boo)
boh (boat)
bah-bye (goodbye)
ah-oh (go get it)
dee-dah (ding-dong. door bell.)
shishy (fish)
yay-ya (answer to any question)
hah-doh? (talking on the phone)
mmm-wah (blowing kisses)
day-tet (blanket)
sh-sh-shhh (time to sleep)
bu-puh bu-puh ("up above the world so high")
noh (nose)
no-no-no-no (no)
hon!
(honk your nose)

and my favorite:
cheeeeee! (camera)
and more keep coming. . .


I was talking to Briggs after an exciting day in downtown Seattle.

Me: What was your favorite part of the day?
Brig: Um. . . . Hmmmm. . .
Me: Was it going to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader?
Brig: No. My favorite part was Grandpa Bill on the merry-go-round when we were telling lots of jokes. I like-ted that part even better than the Dawn Treader.
aw, so sweet. and a lesson to us all that the best favorite parts are always people.


Isaac wanted Christine to play with him upstairs in the toy room.
Isaac: I promise we won't play anything too boyish.
then he paced around the toy room (scattered with rifles, trucks, army guys, and space ships) tapping his chin - clearly unable to think of anything "not too boyish"
Christine: uh, it's okay. I know how to play fighter planes?
let the games begin.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love Brig's comment about the opera music and it sounds like Eliza is going to be a talker! I'm impressed with her vocabulary for her age.

Emily said...

yeah she just started saying "mine!" and "catch!" - two words that definitely didn't come from me!!!!