Clay: What's a crush?
Me: It's when you like someone you don't know very well in a romantic way.
Clay: Oh. I thought it meant when someone bothers you.
Me: Why did you think that?
Clay: Because everyone at school says [Jane] has a crush on me. She always tries to sit by me or run next to me on the track and I don't like it.
Me: Why?
Clay: Because she's a talking girl. And talking girls always bother me.
"she who holds her tongue is wise" (proverbs 10:19)
Brig: I wanna be a wood chucker when I grow up.
Me: you mean a wood cutter?
Brig: No, I mean a wood chucker! (yelling)
Me: What does a wood chucker do?
Brig: It has a really pointy nose that can make holes in wood. All kinds. Any kind you want.
a woodpecker? my child wants to be a wood. pecker. when he grows up. nice.
I made Brigham eggs for breakfast this morning.
"Wow! I love these eggs!
I love them better than brownies. . . but not better than Jesus."
I love that kid's rating scale.
Isaac: Everybody knows me at school. All the teachers in the office. Even all the older kids. Even teachers I don't know. They all know who I am. I think I'm famous or something.
Me: Yeah. . . or something. For better or for worse.
Nate installed an aircraft simulator program on our computer. You can take off from practically any major city and the geography and distance between cities is pretty accurate. I walked in to find all three boys mesmerized by this. I watched for several long minutes as Clayton held the joystick. Nothing was happening. The plane appeared to be flying on course over nothing but ocean. Forever.
Me: Uh. Is this fun?
Clay: (without blinking) Yeah, I'm flying.
Me: But nothing's happening.
Clay: That's because I'm flying to a different continent.
Me: Do you know how long it takes to fly to Africa?
Clay: (No response)
Nate: Isn't this a cool program?
yeah. . . as I think of all the projects I can finish in the 11 hours it will take my kids to fly across the Atlantic.
"Mine!"
it's happening already and she's barely 16 months. ugh. let the good times roll.
The kids overheard some people laughing at a (really lame) super bowl joke.
Isaac: What were those guys laughing about?
Me: Oh, it was just something about the super bowl. Do you know what the super bowl is? (It felt just plain silly to even ask that question in earshot of so many people.)
Clay: The super? bowl???
Isaac: I know what super is, but not bowl.
Brig. Nope.
Me: It's like the most famous football game in the universe. (which felt even sillier to explain)
Clay: And what's so funny about it?
Me: Nothing. Just never mind.
sometimes chemistry and physics are easier to explain than why people laugh at really lame jokes. But hey, at least my kids know what the super bowl is now.
primary presidency meeting:
Me: Okay, so after our Teacher Training Event this month, the Priesthood Preview Party in March, and our Humanitarian Project in April, we'll finally have a rest for a while. . . whew. . . that will be nice!
Everyone Else: Uh. Emily? Except that you're having a baby in May.
Me: Oh yeah. Well, never mind about the "rest" part then.
2 comments:
Hmmm, where can I get my hands on that flight simulator program? I can only imagine what I could get done with a couple of hours of QUIET from the boys. How funny that you are only 4 days behind me in these pregnancies. I am so happy to be having a girl, but would be even happier to be having a sister for said girl. Lucky, lucky you.
wow! I wish we could plan it for the same day. . . wouldn't that be awesome if our girls had twin birthdays? Just like WE always wanted. . .
Post a Comment