Monday, March 14, 2011

Nate is Great!

We celebrated Nate's birthday this weekend. Yep, he's finally as old as me. I guess I've programmed the kids to think that every birthday needs some sort of a theme because as soon as they got wind that it was Daddy's birthday, the birthday-party-brainstorming began:
"Let's see, what does Daddy like? He really likes light sabers and Star Wars. Yeah, and he likes molecules! . . . I think Daddy likes BYU basketball. . . No, he likes football better. . . Guys, I think baseball is Daddy's favorite sport. . . Hey! Daddy likes rocket ships, remember? I think we should have a rocket ship party. . . Yeah, a science party! Daddy loves science! . . . And wrestling! And water fights!"
And just as the debate was heating up, it dawned on Clayton, "Um, wait! Those are all things that WE like. I think, since it's Daddy's birthday, we should have a lawyer party instead."

uhhhh. . .

But since the kids couldn't think of anything to go along with that theme, they settled for an All-Sports birthday party. They made a gigantic athletic-event-happy-birthday banner. And surprised him in the morning with balloons and a champion-style breakfast.
Later in the day we headed over to the baseball park for some preseason training. Here are the pictures:
Nate: The mean-lean pitching machine.
Brig at bat.
Brig on first - wishing he were back at bat. I love that pouty face!
Clay at bat.
Isaac at bat.
Eliza at bat. :)

Is there any wonder Eliza is obsessed with balls living in a family with three older brothers?
After baseball practice we went to the Sporting Grill for dinner where we watched the BYU game on the big screen. Back at home we celebrated with birthday cake (the same lemon-glazed lemon cake he requests every year) and presents (homemade Lego creations, favorite books straight from our own bookshelf, and a treasured pocket watch that we've owned for years). Nate was thrilled.

Happy Birthday Nate! With all the party planners around here (and since it turns out you like the exact same things as your kids) I'm sure it was just the birthday of your dreams! Thanks for being such a super-dad. We love you.
.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Happy (very late) birthday Nate! Dads are the best because they always love the same things as their kids and they get so excited about homemade/recycled gifts. . .just ask Jordie. Those presents sound just as good as the homemade volcano that Dave got for his birthday. Enjoy your lego creations and pocket watch Nate!

Jenny said...

So fun! Happy Birthday Nate! It looks like the kids had a blast planning that party. I love that last picture with the cake. They sure do love their dad!