The NICU. Here is where Lydia and I have been living for the last week. And if there is anything I gained during my stay with sweet Lydia (besides some super amazing auto-pilot skills, driving to the hospital at 5:30 every morning and staying until the middle of the night - with multiple quick trips home between feedings to see my other kids throughout the day) it's a deep and almost tangible feeling of gratitude.With so many things that could have gone wrong, being surrounded by so many other tiny struggling babies, and after our (very hectic and scary) month-long experience with Clayton in the NICU eight years ago, we are so grateful that Lydia is completely healthy and happy. She is perfect.
I am grateful for modern medicine, smart doctors, and top notch hospitals. Isn't Lydia's room wonderful? I imagined a glaring, beeping room lined with incubators - like with Clayton. I didn't expect private suites for every baby with soothing music and lights that dim. So so grateful.
I am grateful that we were able to hold Lydia (even with all her wires) as often as we wanted. (something we couldn't do with Clayton)
I am grateful for tiny toes.
I am grateful for thoughtful hospital workers who paid attention to my very concerned eight-year-old. They made this poster explaining each tube and wire and all the equipment. Just to calm his worries.
I am grateful for warm beds, clean blankets, and a peaceful baby.
I am grateful for wonderful nurses who love their jobs and adored my daughter - almost as much as I do.
I am grateful for a hungry baby - always so happy to see me.
And so so sad when I have to go.(did I mention she has blue eyes?)
I am grateful for a perfectly beautiful child.
A marvel. And a blessing.
.
1 comment:
It sounds like it was as good of an experience in the NICU as you could hope for. I love the pictures. She is so beautiful. I appreciated reading the poster explaining all the tubes and what they are for.
Post a Comment