I enlisted Clayton and Isaac to fill Easter eggs for me. Which meant I had to tell them the truth about the Easter Bunny.
Me: Okay guys. So in our family we don't believe in the Easter Bunny. Because come on. Do you really think a rabbit hops around hiding candy for kids? The Easter Bunny's not even a person!
Clay: Yeah. He's not a person like Santa Claus! Or. . . wait. What about the Tooth Fairy?
Isaac: The Tooth Fairy's a person too. Just a magic one!
exactly. (whew. that went better than expected) now get to work!
Brigham caught a lizard outside and then let it go in our house. Clayton seriously panicked (and so did I when I spotted it hours later perched on Lydia's bed)
Mom! Brigham let a wild animal in our house!
Brig: Why does Isaac get to play with that?
Nate: Because he cleaned up the toy room by himself while you were playing outside.
Brig: I wasn't playing. I was helping you, Dad.
Nate: You weren't helping. You were catching lizards.
Brig: I was helping you! I thought that's what you were doing - catching lizards!
Eliza saw me burping Lydia and she came over to help.
"Fives? A give a baby fives? Yeah!"
high fiving the baby on the back and cheering again and again.
"When is baby Lydia gonna look like a real baby - like Eliza? And not so pink and squished? . . . I keep wondering when she's gonna talk." - Isaac
and I keep wondering when my kids are going to STOP growing up. It all happens way too fast for me. sheesh! Lydia shouldn't even be born yet!
I walked over to the school to pick up the boys - making my first public appearance in weeks. It was fun to see my friends. Everyone has been so thoughtful and kind. There were a few memorable remarks though - worthy of the quote book:
outspoken parent:
"So you have five kids now. . . (shaking head) Oh, you must be miserable!"
I laughed out loud. And I couldn't stop laughing. She totally didn't mean to be funny.
talkative friend:
"You look so good! What kind of anti-depressants are you on?"
she was dead serious.
Brigham:
"Mom! Your tummy is getting bigger again. Is there another baby in there?"
nope. just fat. (trying hard to ignore all the stares)
someone's nanny:
"Ah. . . you have baby? You make beautiful children. Muy bonita. (brushing Eliza's cheek). . . muy bonita."
she barely speaks English. and yet when all is said, it's her words that I treasure the most.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment