Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Isaac's Recycled Flying Ant

For Earth Day, Isaac was assigned to create an insect using recyclable material. Unlike Clayton's school project where lots of parental help was required (and expected). Isaac did this entirely on his own. In fact, I didn't even see the note with the project requirements until after he was practically done. (I love projects like this!). The only thing I helped him with was not scalding himself with the hot glue gun after his attempt with the Elmer's glue failed. Convincing him that using recycled tin foil does not really mean the piece with gross food still stuck on it. And helping him cope (and re-do) after Eliza chewed up the legs into pieces.
As you can see, he also did all the researching and writing himself. I have no idea if it's even true. (anyone from Australia - please feel free to verify.)
In any case, Isaac's flying ant (made with recycled Easter eggs, tin foil, and straws) has been providing us with. . .
hours. . .and hours. . .
of sheer. . .
entertainment.
Good job, Isaac. I hope your trend in projects continues throughout your school career.
We love you, kiddo.
.

1 comment:

Emily said...

TRUE STORY: One of the other parents at the baseball game tonight (who totally thought we were Australian because Nate always wears a safari hat and Eliza has kangaroos on her shoes, and because at some point she asked Brigham where he was from and he said Australia) introduced me to another Australian friend of hers. I asked her if Australians eat ants. And guess what? They do! Isaac was correct. Yum.