The kids started school today. So much has been going on lately that I feel like I haven't even had a chance to process the fact that my happy little Briggy-boo is now a big kindergartener. And that talkative, imaginative Isaac is finally in first grade. And principled, reliable Clayton is already in third - halfway done with elementary school! Summer is over. I have no preschoolers. My kids are growing up. What is a mother to do?
I walked the boys to school - we know the route well.
Through the "secret way". . .
and down the sidewalk with all the other kids.
Third graders go through a different entrance. The main entrance. Clayton felt like such an upperclassman. He quickly found a friend and said his good-bye's. I watched him walk through the doors - looking so tall. He didn't even glance back.
I walked Isaac and Brig to their classrooms (with all the other lower grade students). As soon as Brigham saw his room and before I had a chance to say anything he squeezed himself through all the other parents and children, hung up his backpack, and found his place to sit. When I finally got a glimpse of him over everyone's shoulders, he was happily coloring - the only student seated in the class. I guess some kindergartners are just born ready. Bye Brigham (kiss kiss) I hope you have a wonderful first day. . .
Isaac was unusually nervous. We've been lecturing him nonstop about first impressions and being respectful and I kind of hope we didn't overdo it. He timidly found his seat and then didn't move a muscle. When I left he was still sitting with his eyes closed and head bowed. I'm praying too buddy. . . not so much that you can handle all of first grade, but that first grade can handle all of you. Have an awesome day my bigger-than-life first grader!
And then I walked back home. . . to this.
And this.
And a completely new era for me. With all my boys in school. And all my girls at home.
This is life. Always changing. Growing. Re-inventing.
I really can't wait until 2:3o today.
.
3 comments:
Why do I always forget that Brig and Tyler are in the same grade?? Makes me wish we lived closer so they could be pals!
Yeah, I always think of Tyler as Isaac's age for some reason - maybe because I have more memories of them palling around together. Brig is also one of the younger kids in his grade.
What a big day. It is always a bittersweet day when the kids go back to school. I'm sure that having the boys gone and being home with the girls is so fun. A totally new chapter in your life as a mom! Eliza looks so grown up next to her little sister. And what a cute little sister that is! Liddybug is darling. They grow up way too fast, don't they. Bittersweet...again.
Post a Comment