Friday, August 12, 2011

Isaac's Airplane Birthday

Isaac is seven! Isn't he looking so grown up? He is. In so many ways. Isaac has always been a great conversationalist. But lately he has become one of my very favorite people to talk to. He's always full of amazing "Did you know's" and "Guess what?'s". And thanks to him, I know more about history, science, geography, airplanes, ships, wars, and animals than I ever imagined I would. He reads like crazy - I can't feed him books fast enough. And he is way less likely to explode or have meltdowns these days. But despite growing up, Isaac is still 100% Isaac. Fun-loving, loud, imaginative, exhausting, energetic, hilarious, quick-witted, over-the-top Isaac. He is so likeable, you just want to hug him. And hang out with him. And chat with him. And play with him. All day. Until he's just too much for you. But then if you hand him a book he'll be perfectly happy to stretch out on the couch. By himself. For hours. . . and hours. . . of peace and quiet. (Ah, see? Literacy really does make all the difference!)
Isaac gets so passionate about stuff that it's easy (fun) to spoil him on his birthday. Which we did. Again. Did I mention Isaac is obsessed with planes? You'll never believe where we took him.To the Lone Star Flight Museum.
It was awesome. It's a "live" museum which means all the airplanes actually fly. And for a small fee ($400) you can take a ride in one. (Isaac's not that spoiled though). We did get to see several planes take off and land, which was (almost) just as cool.Airplanes are big. That's all I have to say. Even the one-seaters have propeller blades bigger than me. The other cool thing about planes is that every one has a story. And a name. Just like ships. And Isaac knows them all.
He's trying to be serious in this picture but I can't even tell you how ecstatic he was to see this Doolittle Raider. The real thing. He was beside himself.
And of course Nate was the perfect tour guide. See that American flag? See the muddish water-mark along the bottom? That's how high the museum flooded after Hurricane Ike. It cost the museum millions to repair the damage.
Here we are out on the tarmac watching the planes come in. . . and wishing we had sunglasses.
We saw so many planes, but this was the coolest by far. The World War II B-17 "Flying Fortress". This thing is huge and has guns sticking out from every angle. Here's the video of it landing. LOUD. There's also a clip of Kevin (our unofficial tour guide) showing the boys a cross-section of an airplane engine. Clayton is obviously impressed. Ha! Check it out.

I know airplanes have been around for a long time but I'm still amazed that these big heavy things actually fly.
Here we are checking out the tail cannons. . .
the wheels. . .

the bomb hanger. . .
the gunner's pod. . .
the radar and the secret doorway for the pilot. (those aren't the real names of course. If you want those, you'll have to talk to Isaac)
He also went nuts in the gift shop. . . as you can imagine.
Back at home we celebrated with "chocolatey" airplane cake and opened presents.

I love these next pictures of Isaac opening a Lego present from Clayton. Look at their faces. . .
Aw, what happy brothers.
Isaac also got some really great books. . .and some cool toy airplanes
which were enjoyed by all. . .

including this motorized one from grandma which we flew around the park that evening and only lost it once (or maybe twice) in the Bayou.
But the best birthday present of all was this.
An airplane ticket to San Diego to see Grandma Melissa and Grandpa Tim and visit the USS Midway Museum. Lucky kid. And lucky ME for getting to go with him in a few weeks. (I can't wait!)
Happy 7th Birthday IsaacMan! I've said it before and I'll say it again: Life would be utterly boring without you.Oh, and guess what else happened on Isaac's birthday? (have I mentioned what a kick I'm getting out of his journal this summer?) Love this kid. So many smiles. And laughs.
Too many to count.

5 comments:

Allison said...

What an awesome birthday! I can't believe that Isaac is already seven. And keeping a journal. And knowing everything about airplanes. He is growing up so fast.

Russ Cannon said...

When I get reincarnated, I want to be Isaac. He always gets to go to the coolest places on his birthday and gets birthday cakes that I only saw in my dreams. I am making a list of the museums that you have shown recently. Maybe I can hit some of these on my next trip to Texas.

Jenny said...

So so cool! Happy Birthday Isaac! I am completely impressed by the amount of knowledge he has about airplanes. He's so smart and fun and cute. We love Isaac!

The Gunnerson Family said...

Isn't it fun to learn so many thing you would never get to learn...unless you were the mom of 3 little boys! Happy birthday, Issac. Looks like he had an amazing day. What a lucky kid.

Mandy and Brian said...

Happy birthday Isaac! This post totally reminds me of an amazing book I just read called Unbroken. It is a true story about a WWII bombadier who becomes a Japanese POW. A little too long and intense for the boys at this age but I think you and Nate would both really love it. Your kids really are lucky they have parents who take them to such cool, fun and educational places.