Clayton is required to have a certain number of accelerated reader points each semester. Which means, on his own time, he needs to read books and then take computerized reading comprehension tests at school. He keeps reading books but not taking the tests and I have been telling him for weeks to stay in from recess, like all the other kids do, and just do it. Besides, it's like a hundred and fifty degrees outside anyway and third-graders, instead of playing on the playground for recess, "get" to run the track (which sounds like torture to me, but I guess you can trick third-graders into thinking anything outside is fun). Clayton usually thinks all my ideas are great and happily does everything I say. So I was surprised that after weeks of me hounding him he still hadn't taken a single AR test. So I questioned him (kind of madly) about it. And finally he admitted that he was too busy at recess collecting names, campaigning, and organizing the "Free Kids Club". The what?He showed me his list of club members which included boys and girls. On the back was a list of club rules. There were three: 1) Anyone can join. 2) We vote on everything. 3) The majority rules.
Apparently a group of boys ("no girls allowed") started a snooty club called the Mo-something club. I don't remember (I'm sure it was something stupid). Anyway, Clayton (who just happens to love clubs) asked them if he could join and they rejected him - rudely.
Here are his own words:
"At first I was like, grrrr that's not fair! I'm going to be mad about this forever! But then I thought about the Civil War when the North was like, grrr that's not fair! Slavery is wrong! This is a free country and we believe all men were created equal! But instead of being mad about it forever, they actually did something to change it! And that's when I had the idea to just start my own club. And let everyone who wanted to join! (how did I get such an awesome kid?) Lot's of other kids so far think it's a good idea. And that's why I can't take AR tests at recess because I have to advertise for my club. My teacher says it's okay."
You asked your teacher?
"Yep. She said I should run for president."
Of your club?
"No, of the United States."
Okay fine. You can run for president.
But only after you take your reading tests!
But only after you take your reading tests!
.
5 comments:
President Smith. That does have a nice ring to it. I am SURE that if anyone can do it Clayton can. What an amazing kid. It melts my heart when I hear that my kids have done something nice and thoughtful. Sounds like Clayton is full of those moments.
Your kids. That is seriously the best story ever. This would make a great picture book.
Today Clayton's club "looked at dragonflies". But hey! They voted on it!
SO, so awesome. Love that kid.
LOVE this! Applying lessons of the Civil War... warms a history teacher's heart. :)
Post a Comment