Clayton is nine. Can you believe I'm that old? Here are some things to note about nine-year-old Clayton:- He loves wearing a suit (this is not genetic). He hangs up his suit, shirt and tie with perfection (think: pants hung right on the crease, shirt buttoned all the way, not a single wrinkle) every Sunday (also not genetic) despite me never asking him or showing him how to do this. He also makes his bed this way.
- He is a vegetarian. Except he doesn't like vegetables.
- When I ask the boys to help carry in groceries from the car, Clayton automatically assumes that means unloading the sacks, rinsing the produce, and putting all the food where it belongs. He honestly doesn't think he's doing me a favor either. He's just thorough that way.
- He is the easiest person in the world to be around. Always quietly, patiently helping, fixing, and setting things right. He has saved Eliza's life many-a-time because of this quality, as you can imagine.
- When his teacher asked him to tell his favorite song on the radio he said, "I Love to See the Temple."
- He likes doing schoolwork. (again, not genetic) And taking tests! (definitely not genetic). And he's good at it (uh, genetic - but not from me). Which is probably why he likes it.
- He's been kind of into politics and economics lately. He follows the 2012 election polls like a hawk and is always eager to share his latest ideas for improving the economy. Just ask him.
- He dreams of being Encyclopedia Brown.
- He couldn't decide between a camping birthday or a robot birthday. I'm glad he picked camping. We had so much fun!
Seriously, look at us! Aren't we such a party?
Because of the burn ban, we couldn't have a fire or cook. So we picked up pizza which was just as great.
Everyone wondered why we decorated the cake with bugs and stars. . . clearly my kids have never been camping.
We forgot about the fire ban when we lit the candles and had to sing really fast before we started a forest fire. Good job, Clayton, blowing all nine of them out!Plus, I have to admit. There is something really cool about eating cake while camping.
We also did a lot of climbing, hanging (falling), and hiking.
Thankfully we made it home without any casualties.
The kids also had fun just hanging out at camp. Instead of ghost stories, Nate told some Levi Savage and Porter Rockwell adventure stories. Which put us all in the camping/pioneer mood. It turns out Nate is a really good story-teller.

The number one thing Clayton wanted for his birthday was a flashlight. So I took him to the store to choose his own. He found these cool (cheap) waterproof-glow-in-the-dark flashlights and (true to form) convinced me to get one for each of his brothers as well. We've been having quite the light shows in our bathroom and shower ever since.
The number two thing he wanted for his birthday, which I told him he couldn't get because it was too expensive and then I found it on amazon for 50% off, was this spy robot. It's pretty cool and Clayton was SO surprised! (this is my favorite video)He also got Oregon Trail. Yes! Anyone else remember this?
and these cool rocket balloons and helicopter balloons from grandma which were (as always) the hit of the party. Thanks grandma Melissa!
Here's proof again that balloons really are the best entertainment!Isaac's class has a traveling gnome who goes on trips with the students. So Gilbert came camping with us.
He had a great time, as you can see.
As did we all. . .
Happy Happy Birthday Claydog!Our awesome nine-year-old!
Thanks for keeping us all grounded, always thinking, and smiling!

We love you, kiddo.
4 comments:
I have to admit. I have never thought of going camping for a birthday. But its a great idea.
I love the list you posted about Clayton. He is such a great kid!
Soooo fun! I'm so proud of you guys for taking the whole family camping! I dream about those days when I feel confident enough to actually take our boys camping. I'm currently way too scared about the sleeping part to attempt it. Did you ALL sleep in the same tent?
Clayton truly is an amazing kid. He's a great example to me and he's only 9 years old.
Jenny - I'm a total camping WIMP!!! The girls and I didn't sleep there. We went home, slept in our own beds, and came back the next morning. Because let's face it. Sleeping in a tent + crying babies = not fun. Nate and the boys had fun though - they're already planning their next camp out.
Post a Comment