Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Festival of Sails

For anyone (like Isaac) who is crazy about ships, San Diego's Festival of Sails is definitely the place to be. And for anyone not crazy? You will be after seeing this.The other night I heard Isaac crying in his bed. When I went to check on him he said, "I just miss Grandma Melissa and Grandpa Tim." I know, I said. But we'll see them this Summer at the ranch! He cried even more, "I know! That's why I'm sad! (sob, sob) because they won't be in San Diego and I'll never. . . see the. . . Star. . . of India. . . again! (sob, sob, sob)."
That's how much he loves ships.
Seeing all these ships in real life - with sweeping sails stacked a mile high, the lull of creaking planks, and the smell of wood. . . and rope. . . and sea - was like traveling back in time.


that and the fact that people everywhere were dressed like 18th century ship merchants and pirates. including this guy who, just for fun, let his parrot perch on Isaac's head.This tall red-bearded pirate was one of our favorites. He carried a pet rat around with him.
whom he affectionately called "pi-rat". (this just might be my favorite picture of all time.)Our festival booklets were stamped at each stop. .
and Isaac had the time of his life exploring each one.Here he is lowering the anchor on the Star of India.

And reading every bit of information. He's such a museum sponge! I love it.
He played quite the sea captain on this play ship - attracting a lot of attention from a group of Asian tourists who laughed heartily at his re-enacting and snapped picture after picture.
Check him out. You can't really see him in this video but you can definitely hear why that group of people have gathered around.

We had so much fun enjoying the ocean breeze. . .
and exploring. . .
every nook. . .
and cranny.
We also enjoyed the fair itself (lemonade, corn dogs, and loaded funnel cake) and especially all the street performers.

Thanks mom and dad for a great time (and for taking turns walking around with Lydia while Isaac and I gallivanted on and off the ships!) I'm so glad I took so many pictures - this was an experience of a lifetime.

Sign on, young man, and sail with me.
The stature of our homeland is no more than the measure of ourselves.
Our job is to keep her free.

Our will is to keep the torch of freedom burning for all.
To this solemn purpose we call on the young, the brave, the strong, and the free.

Heed my call, Come to the sea.
Come Sail with me."
Captain John Paul James, Father of the American Navy, 1723

.

2 comments:

Emily said...

last San Diego post. . . so sad.

But at least now I'm up to date on here. Uh. . .except for our epic 2011 summer road trip - which still hasn't been documented. I'm still holding out hope that it will magically write and post itself sometime before next year.

becca said...

Isaac is such a lucky kid to have a mom (and grandparents!) willing to take him on such an adventure. He looks like he's in heaven! I think the rat picture is my favorite :)