Friday, November 4, 2011

Halloween!

A long time ago my boys decided they wanted to be "space men" for Halloween. They have this continuous space-robot war going on upstairs - each has his own cardboard space station full of Lego robot armies and weapons. The conversation on the way to school this morning went like this, "Isaac we've already worn out our forces in battle. We need to retreat and build more weapons after school today."
So I figured this was the perfect time to introduce them to Star Trek. Because what better "space men" do you know of than Captain Kirk, Commander Scotty, and Spock? My kids don't know much about Star Trek (yet) but I assured them that when it comes to space men, these guys are the best! And because, personality-wise, I already feel like I live with an audacious, head-strong Captain, a bookish, techie Commander, and a rational, logical, over-thinking Spock. And with my kids constantly teaming up against robot-alien invasions anyway - my life is already pretty much like a Star Trek episode. And thanks to Halloween, we now have the costumes (and the phasers) to go with it.



It was suggested (by the boys) that the girls be aliens. Which they were none too happy about. (as you can see in these pictures).
So we compromised by letting the boys take turns chasing each other (and everyone) with the alien head. And letting the girls change from aliens to fairy princess and ladybug.
Which made everyone happy.
(Aw, isn't Lydia just as cute as a bug?)
Especially Eliza who loved her "oooo pitty" fairy dress and wings.



After pictures (this one is my particular favorite - look at Clayton and Isaac trying so hard to do the Vulcan hand sign - the level of concentration kills me, Brig with his tough-man pose, and Eliza trying desperately to give away that darn alien hat.) we headed out for two different nights of trick-or-treating.
Which was enjoyed by all.



Happy Halloween!

Live long and prosper. . .
.

3 comments:

Allison said...

Oh man, your kids ROCK! I love how well the boys' costumes fit their personalities and Eliza and Lydia look adorable.

The Gunnerson Family said...

I cannot think of more fitting costumes for those adorable boys! I'm totally laughing at the pumpkin carving story...it sounds all to familiar. We must truly be kindred spirits because Livvy was a ladybug too! Now if I can just continue to follow your example and get her a little sister...

Jenny said...

I'm glad you've introduced your boys to Star Trek. It's just perfect. It looks like you had a fun Halloween. Eliza and Lydia are growing so fast!