Friday, December 23, 2011

The Nativity

We participated in the community live nativity for the third year. We know our roles well. Eliza, Brigham and I were Bethlehem towns people again while Nate, Clayton, and Isaac had more substantial roles as shepherds. Lydia hung out with the McKays (I seriously cannot thank you enough!) and had a fun time at their neighborhood block party. She made her debut as a Bethlehem baby wrapped in sheepskin for the final performance. Every year I grumble a little gearing up for this (because let's face it, getting all five kids and myself in costume, coming to extra rehearsals and keeping my kids - I have two babies now - up super late is not a piece of cake for me. Plus it's cold.) But every year my kids have a spiritual experience and every year I am reminded, at the deepest level, of the true meaning of Christmas. It wasn't a piece of cake for Mary or Joseph either. Traveling to Bethlehem was inconvenient for them and they were also kept up late. Plus it was probably cold.
Every year Nate plays the leading shepherd, the only other person who gets to hold the baby during the production. He is such a good actor. I love this moment.
Here are my boys acting "sore afraid".
Nate with a group of shepherd boys.

Eliza talking to "Mary"
Daphne did a good job helping me keep Eliza quiet backstage.
Eliza and Lydia sitting with the McKays in the audience between performances.
Lydia was a cute and quiet Bethlehem baby for the last run-through of the night.
I am so grateful for these kind of opportunities. I'm glad our Christmas season is so full of them.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 3:16

.

No comments: