"Goodnight beautiful girls" is always the last thing I say before leaving the room when Lydia and Eliza go to bed. Last night, long after they'd already fallen asleep I was upstairs quietly tidying a few things in their room - putting away some folded clothes and listening to them breathe. Just as I was slipping out the door I heard Eliza pull a finger out of her mouth and whisper, "Goodnight beautiful mom."
I'm the first to admit that being a mom isn't always beautiful. But there are moments so sweet. . . so clear. . . that even all the diamonds in the world cannot compare in beauty. I am grateful for those moments. And Mother's Day is the perfect chance to remember those moments and celebrate them.
I love Mother's Day.
Here are a few things from each of my boys starting with Clayton: "You are the Mom Of Mother's Day" Yes! This is so Clayton. He was so proud to give me the letter he'd written and explained how long it took him to come up with the poem at the beginning (which is fabulous!) and how he even stayed in through recess to finish it. I, of all people, know what a big deal that is to you. I love you, Clayton.
Brigham planted lima beans for me (that have since grown taller than the card). Today I found two worms and a roly poly bug living in the dirt. Hmmm, I wonder how those got there?
Isaac (for the second year in a row) mentioned practicing the piano. Hopefully that's not the only thing he'll remember from his childhood about me. Er, that and housework. I promise we do fun stuff too. . . sometimes?
Brigham and Isaac also did random nice "surprises" around the house for me - making the bed, cleaning a mess - leaving me cute notes and pirate gold as they went. Arghh, what a lucky mother I be!
And of course, there's my own beautiful superwoman mother - the true Mom Of Mother's Day. Whom I enjoyed laughing with, chatting with, and reminiscing with for more than an hour on the phone while everyone else in the world desperately tried to beep in to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. It's hard having such a popular mom. I'm just glad to know that I'm her favorite that even though we're all grown up she still adores being a mother.
Happy Beautiful Mother's Day!










2 comments:
That story about Eliza saying "goodnight beautiful mom" is the sweetest thing in the whole world! Your kids are darling and you are really the Mom of Mother's Day Emily! Missing you!
This entire blog entry was a real gem! Yes, I do love being the mom of such an amazing beautiful daughter. The picture of me with the "Smith kids" is also a treasure.
Love and miss you,
Mom
Post a Comment