Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Brigham Is Six!

There are two things you need to know about Brigham.  He loves hedgehogs.  And he has been planning his birthday party for 6 months.  So naturally he wanted a hedgehog birthday.  But then he (randomly) changed his mind to a dog birthday until he remembered that he's deathly allergic to dogs. . . and cats. . . and anything with fur.  So he went back to a hedgehog birthday.  But then he decided he wanted a penguin birthday and he researched warm weather penguins (i.e. penguins that can live in Texas).  When that didn't pan out, he went back to his favorite animal - hedgehog.  Until he read a book about bats!  Where he learned that some people keep bats as pets because they eat mosquitoes.   So then he really wanted a bat birthday.  Until I mentioned how freaky it would be to have a pet bat.  So he went back to wanting a hedgehog birthday but said to me glumly one night, "What I really want is a hedgehog birthday but hedgehogs can't be pets." Hmmmm. . .

And that's when I realized that what he really wanted was a pet. 

So. . .

Are you ready to see the happiest 6-year-old in the universe?

Introducing Hedgamin Franklin.  Brigham's real (8-week-old) pet hedgehog!
And here's the hedgehog birthday party that happened after all. . . (tons of pictures)
The Decorations:
The Cake:
This cake was soooo good. (and turned out so cute, if I do say so myself)  Dense.  Moist.  Milk free.  Gluten free.
And covered in the most amazing (milk-free) chocolate chips I have ever tasted.
Opening Presents:
Besides his hedgehog, Brigham also cashed in on presents this year from grandparents and friends.  He got a bug container with a magnifying window from Grandma Melissa (there couldn't be a more perfect gift for our bug-loving Brig) and a Buzz Lightyear blaster and this tent from friends.
 
He also got a little stuffed penguin from Eliza which he couldn't stop "awwing" over.
And of course books.
Playing with Hedgie:
The kids all had a fun time playing with our new little addition.  And Hedgamin Franklin loved all the attention.
Water Games in the Backyard:
(the hedgehog stayed indoors for this)
No celebration is complete around here without a good water fight.
Let the games begin. . .


Even Lydia got in on the action when she got caught (more than once) in the crossfire.


Brig also celebrated his birthday at school with some "squinky" topped brownie bites.  The kid was in heaven.

We all love you Brig!  (Including Hedgie). I can't think of a better boy, more deserving of a pet, than you Brigham.  Happy Birthday kiddo. 

5 comments:

Allison said...

Oh my goodness. I just was showing Dave a picture of a hedgehog last night and saying how cute I thought they were. That is the cutest pet ever. Tell Brigham I am jealous. What a fun birthday party. He is looking so grown up.

That's is an awesome cake, Emily!

Sheralie said...

I know I say this a lot but you are the BEST mom Emily. That is the cutest little pet ever, where, how did you find it? Pets are so good for children. And that cake is terribly cute too :) Love you tons.

The Gunnerson Family said...

You are the nicest mom ever! There is no way I could ever get a hedgehog for my child no matter how much they wanted it. I am totally freaked out by furry little creatures! Seriously, I don't think I ever actually "slept" at you house during our many sleep overs. I was completely terrified that Melanie's pets would get out of their cages!!!!

Too, too cute with the whole birthday party. I must once again say that you are the best mom ever. Ever.

Mandy and Brian said...

Happy Birthday Brig! Hegamin is the cutest little thing I have ever seen! I would have been ecstatic! What a lucky little boy (also to have a mom that makes such amazing cakes!)

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday Brigham! I can't stop looking at both the cake and the actual hedgehog. Add Brigham in there and you have three of the cutest things in the universe. I love it!