Nate and I just got back from a firm retreat in New Orleans, where we enjoyed, for the first time since we became parents, a weekend completely away from the kids. We love our trips with the kids, but it sure was nice to board that plane with just a book---no car seats, strollers, diaper bags full of snacks, treats, crayons, games, toys, blankets, you name it. Can I tell you how awesome it was to hop in a taxi next to Nate with the entire day ahead of us? Or leave the hotel in the morning with the whole city at our feet? No planning around nap times, potty times, snack times, mealtimes, melt-down times, or bedtimes. Can I tell you how amazing it was to wake up to a quiet, clean hotel room with only one person (me) to bathe, dress, feed, and get ready? I kept being surprised by how tidy and roomy everything seemed. My one pile of neatly folded clothes sat undisturbed next to my one tiny suitcase that had enough room this time around (no wet wipes or diapers) for an extra pair of fancy shoes.
And it turns out. . .
that even after ten years with our children in constant tow. . .
Nate and I still really like hanging out with each other. We had so much fun.
Thanks to my mom and Nate's firm for making it all possible.
The kids had a blast with my mom (as you can see). She filled up the swimming pool and the slip-n-slide. She got pizza and took them to Menchies for ice cream. All the while keeping the house in tip top shape. We can't wait for grandma to come again!
So here are a few pictures (Ha! even without the kids, I still took tons) of New Orleans.
We stayed at this hotel. . .
I felt like the Queen of England, it was so elegant.
And the view from our window made me feel like Mary Poppins. . .
Outside the hotel around one corner was this. . . Bourbon Street.
And around the other, this. . . Canal Street.
We dined each evening with Nate's firm at the most amazing restaurants.
We ate food so indescribably good that I think I'll be dreaming about homemade gnocchi with blue crab and black truffles in cream sauce for the rest of my life.
Nate and I walked everywhere. We walked down to the Mississippi River where we saw steamboats, cargo ships, and cruise lines coming and going. We also did some shopping, enjoyed fresh pralines, and read up on New Orleans history.
Captain John Cannon (quite possibly a relative of mine) was the winner of the most celebrated steamboat race in history. He made it from New Orleans to St. Louis in a record-setting 3 days, 18 hours, and 14 minutes.
He really wanted to go to this glassworks shop he remembered from his days as a law clerk.
The window displays looked amazing.
Too bad it was closed. Doesn't Nate look so bummed?
So we went to a few other shops. Here is Nate admiring this dapper display of New Orlean's dress suits.
And here is my favorite all-pink store. Eliza would have gone crazy!
Then of course there were the locals. This guy was very proud of his welding skills. He's riding four bikes. Look at the jealous guy on the regular bike behind him. . .
A few local skate-boarders running a red light.
And Nate posing in front of the Federal Court building where he worked during his clerkship days.
We spent most of a day at the the National World War II Museum. I thought about Isaac the entire time. Despite my life-long lack of enthusiasm for wars, I loved this museum.
Isaac would have gone crazy here. There were so many airplanes and tanks.
You want to know the reason this museum is in New Orleans? Because of this man - Andrew Higgins. He designed and built all those drop-hatch boats (you've seen the D-day pictures) that can move through shallow water (think New Orleans bayou). Eisenhower stated in an interview "Andrew Higgins in the man who won the war for us."
These tiny soldiers represent the relative sizes of the armed forces of the U.S, Germany, and Japan at the beginning of the war. We weren't very ready, were we?
I was awed by the whole museum, but it was the display of wall-length photographs that really captured the feel - the urgency, fright, honor, and raw humanity - of World War II.
I loved all the architecture in New Orleans. I snapped so many pictures as Nate and I walked around town. I loved the contrast of old against new. Such a cool city.
What a great trip. I'm already dreaming of the next time Nate and I can take off together. Maybe London?
. . . wouldn't it be nice. . .


















































2 comments:
I'm so glad you and Nate were able to take such an amazing vacation together! Everyone needs one of those every decade. Beautiful pictures and words. Makes me want to book a plane ticket to New Orleans!
It looks like so much fun! And getting on a plane with a book and no kids? Sounds like bliss. Maybe Dave and I are due for a trip like this.
Post a Comment