I almost decided to retire the quote book this year. Glad I didn't. Look at all that we would have missed. . .
Besides
fighting, wrestling, and yelling in the car, the boys sometimes play
(invented) car games. A favorite of mine is one Clayton made up
called, "You ask me any question and I'll give you a ridiculous answer."
Here's a sample:
Me: Why do trees have leaves?
Clay: They don't. They have stays. Other things come and go but a tree stays and stays.
Brig: How many balls do you need to play baseball?
Clay: Five. One game ball, two eyeballs, and of course the balls of your feet.
Isaac: Are you a dork?
Clay: I have to give you the most ridiculous answer. So here it is, Isaac: Yes.
Here is another game invented by Clayton called, "You make up a song and I'll judge it". (his critiques are lengthy but hilarious) Here's a song Brigham made up (on the spot) that received the highest possible marks from judge Clayton.
It's the storm version of "Twinkle Twinkle" sung in a minor key, of
course:
Lightning flashes like a star
Thunder, thunder here it roar
Up above the world so high
Lightning strikes the stormy sky
Lightning flashes like a star
Thunder, thunder hear it roar.
Clayton and Isaac were talking:
Clay: We're like Zeus and Hera. You think you're winning when we fight but really I could easily overpower you. I just choose not to.
Isaac: Oh yeah? Well, then I challenge you to a karate duel.
Clay: You missed the point of what I just said, Isaac.
and then he launched into a long-winded Greek Mythology lecture. which Isaac tuned out.
This morning Eliza was watching me get ready.
Eliza: Are you putting on your hiccup?
Me: You mean my make-up?
Eliza: (suddenly startled) Oh and look! Good job, mom. You even put on your own socks!
yeah, I try.
Conversation between Eliza and Nate this morning:
Eliza: You're tall.
Nate: I wish.
Eliza: What do you wish for?
Nate: Um, a kiss from you.
Eliza: Oh. I wish for a birthday.
a pink one, surely. and then she went on her merry way.
The
other afternoon, even though the house was bustling with noise, I
realized I hadn't seen or heard Eliza in a while. I finally found her
on the floor in Clayton's room staring and sighing up at the ceiling.
Me: Eliza, what are you doing?
Eliza: Waiting.
Me: Waiting for what?
Eliza: For Clayton to play horsies with me.
I
looked over at Clayton who was doing his homework at his desk. He just
rubbed his temples and shook his head. Still, I bet you can guess what
he spent the remainder of his day doing.
The kids are really
into Martin Luther King day. I'm glad. Today Clayton gave a
spontaneous improvised soliloquy to Martin Luther King Jr. To which
Isaac solemnly responded,
If
it wasn't for Martin Luther King Jr. I wouldn't have my best friends at
school. And I wouldn't have anyone to play football with at recess.
it's true. what a shame it would have been to have missed out on such friendships. happy MLK day. and God bless America.
A friend: Emily, I can't believe you've had five kids. Look at you! You probably wear the same clothes you wore 15 years ago!
Me: (looking at my clothes) Um. . . errrw. . .yup?
still not sure if that was meant to be a compliment.
Eliza
was cooking lunch for Brigham in her little kitchen. She was reminding
him to eat his vegetables and stay in his seat in her special bossy
way.
Brig: Oh, are you my pretend mom?
Eliza: No, I'm your real mom.
Brig: Well, it's a lot harder to be my real mom than it is my pretend mom, you know.
ain't it the truth. ain't it the truth
Nate: I think I'll ride the bus to work tomorrow.
Me: Why? (he hasn't taken the bus in years)
Nate: Because I have books I want to read.
books. a good reason to ride the bus. just sad it's the only place he can find uninterrupted time to read these days.
1 comment:
Don't ever retire the quote book! It makes my entire day when I read it. Your kids say the best things and have the funniest conversations.
Post a Comment