I hesitate to even title this "January Books" because it sort of commits me to monthly book reviews. But I need some way of keeping track of what I've read and since I am such a slacker on goodreads (I think it's been like three years since I've updated my account) I'm just going to toss all my eggs into one basket and keep track of my books here. So here's the line up for January:
Inside Mrs. B's Classroom: 5 stars
I picked this up after a conversation with Nate about gun control. I remembered an incident while teaching in Chicago when one of my students brought a gun to school and how casual I was about the whole thing. When the kid opened his backpack I saw it thunk onto the floor and instead of hyperventilating (like I would be now!) I just rolled my eyes and said, "Oh, you've got to be kidding me. How on earth did you get by security with that?" (the elementary school employed two full-time, armed police officers who also carried metal detectors to check backpacks at the front entrance each day.) I buzzed the office who sent the cops lumbering up to my third-floor classroom. They confiscated the gun (didn't even check to see if it was loaded) and I went on with my lesson. I mentioned this to Nate and commented how surprised I was that I didn't freak out. He said, "yeah, but back then nothing surprised you at that school." I had forgotten the me that used to not be phased by anything. I felt so removed from that person. So it was good to reread Leslie's book. To remember. All the smells, the sounds, the heat, the heartache, the hilarity, and the rare moments of hope. . . all came flooding back to me. This is a fabulous book. It is! I loved every. single. word. (except for the swear words - but c'mon, it's South Chicago). It's funny and heartbreaking and inspiring all at the same time. Leslie Baldacci, before she was teacher, wrote for the Chicago Sun Times so each chapter reads like an editorial. She portrays a very real and honest picture of life in South Chicago. She's not at all self-aggrandizing (the opposite actually) or sensational in any way like a lot of other inner-city books I've read. Leslie is also a friend of mine. We were in a book group together made up entirely of Chicago Public School teachers (TACAR). She taught at the closest neighboring school to mine.
The Hundred Dresses: 3.5 stars
I picked this up at the library after Jess mentioned it. I'm surprised I never read this as a kid. It's a wonderful story - full of lessons about kindness, change, forgiveness, friendship, talents. . . the list could go on. I loved it. I don't think it would hold my boys attention but I can't wait to read it with my girls.
Princess Academy, Palace of Stone: 4 stars
Okay, all you Shannon Hale fans - she's back at her best! This book is Goose Girl good. I couldn't put it down. I read the whole thing in one night and I've been smiling ever since. I can relate to Miri from the mountains who leaves her family to go live in a big city. I love the idea of her claiming both places as her own. But of course Mount Eskel will always be home - as the mountains will always be for me.
Lightning Fast Spanish: 2 stars
This is exactly the book I have been looking for - though not very professionally done. It is basically a collection of common conversations (in Spanish) that parents would most likely have with their children daily. Mealtime conversations. Playtime conversations. Getting dressed conversations. Bedtime conversations. And a list of vocabulary substitutions to accompany each conversation. There are also some easy and practical game ideas at the back. It's a good way to start adding a little Spanish into our day. I think I'll start studying some of these lessons and try them out.
Picture Book Spotlight:
My mom sent the boys this book for Christmas. Isaac has been eating it up. The illustrations are absolutely spectacular. Wow. The seven stories in this book are familiar ones but retold from an interesting perspective. My kids enjoyed discovering how and why God's hand may have played a role in each of these historical events.


1 comment:
interesting though about remembering the days of being nonchalant. I remember being a missionary and doing very dangerous things on my bike in the Thailand traffic. It seems very strange for me now to try something like that.
Post a Comment