Sunday, May 26, 2013

Hegemon Goes to School

Brig finally presented his "Hedgehog" project at school.  His book, "The Adventures of Hedgamin Franklin" was a huge hit.  The principal even wrote him a special note congratulating him on his project.  She complimented him on his creativity and said she was proud to have him as a student at Bush.  But his book took a backseat in popularity when Brigham brought his actual hedgehog to school.  Hegemon has become quite the celebrity! Everyone asks about him whenever I visit the school.
Besides the Knowledge Fest in the cafeteria, Brigham was invited to take Hegemon on a special "book signing" tour of individual classrooms where he got to read his book out loud to the students and introduce them to his hedgehog up close and personal.  I don't think there's a boy alive who knows more about hedgehogs than Brigham.  His project was fantastic!

Look at these kids crowding around to see.  And below Brigham talks to the principal.
Here are a few parents enjoying Brigham's book.
All the first graders did a great job on their projects.  I especially loved this kid with his giant squid hat.  Awesome!
Brigham forgot to bring his tri-fold board to the Knowledge Fest (he left it in his classroom) so I didn't get any pictures of it until he brought it home.
Eliza also really wanted to be in the picture. . .
Here are my two favorite parts:  These cute pictures of Hegemon - don't they just make you want a hedgehog?
And this Venn Diagram (100% Brigham's idea) where he compares himself to a hedgehog.  Ha ha I laugh every time I read this.
Brigham's teacher also did a great job teaching the kids how to write a research paper.  They literally spent months on this writing project.  I can't even tell you how many drafts came home marked up in red ink.  But his final paper, "Fascinating Hedgehogs" is awesome.  I love the part where he writes the sound a hedgehog makes, "acccccccchhhhhh".
And I especially love the ending, "In my world, hedgehogs are the best!  In your world, what animal do you think is the best?"
Good job, kiddo.
Way to go Brigham!

No comments: