I love Mother's Day. Not because I'm an especially great mother (far from it). But because I have some especially great kids. Right now they are all at the perfect age - the sweet spot for reveling in holidays. And Mother's Day is no exception. They went all out this year. I am a lucky lucky Mama. (aw, look at Clayton's poor eye - a battle wound from ice skating.)
Nate rallied the troops bright and early and put them to work! Here they are cooking and stirring and slicing and setting and decorating for a surprise Mother's Day breakfast. I woke up to the smell of sizzling sausage and the sound of hushed voices.
Finally Lydia (the messenger) was sent to "wake me up". She was so cute the way she toddled in singing "mommy mommy mommy mommy" with her arms outstretched.
And what a surprise feast it was!
I loved the flowers clipped from our backyard and the Mother's Day centerpiece.
Along with breakfast came an enormous pile of Mother's Day cards and homemade gifts. I am so loved.
There was a "hands" theme going on this year.
And I'm glad I've got a lot of helping hands around here!
Brigham gave me a coupon book (best present ever!) which I have already used.
The girls made cards and beautiful (pink) bracelets.
Clayton wrote a poem:
A Poem for Mother
Enriched with musicality, she's aA Poem for Mother
Mother any kid would want.
I see her working everyday with
Love and care and heart.
Yes, my mother does it all.
So I give this card in gratitude to
My mother, with all my heart.
I know her love for me reaches
To all the stars and back.
Here I stand, your loving son,
Thankful for all you are.
Isaac's gift is going down in history as one of my favorites ever! Surely A LOT of time went into this writing project - hats off to his teacher for this! The doorbell rang and this envelope (from TIME magazine) mysteriously appeared at our front door on Mother's Day. Here's what was inside.
Apparently I won the Mother of the Year award! Here's the cover story. I love Isaac's writing style. He had us all rolling with laughter.
Here's the Sports section. It's true, any mom who can clean a room in 20 seconds flat, push a shopping cart up and down 50 aisles in ten minutes, pack 5 lunchboxes in 10 seconds, carry 22 cups, and load 16 dishes at a time is an awesome mom.
But this page (the Exclusive Interview with Isaac T. Smith) made my heart smile the biggest.
And here's why. . .
And finally a picture of the amazing trophy I won.
See what I mean? I'm a lucky lucky mom. And luckier still to have such a great one myself! Happy Happy Mother's Day!
















2 comments:
You are a wonderful mother Emily! I hope I have half as much energy as you do as I raise my own kids!
What a fun Mother's Day. Hats off to Nate and the kids for making breakfast, and that really is a pretty cool TIME magazine gift.
You are such a good mom and I wish I had your energy and creativity with my kids that you have with yours!
Post a Comment