The afternoon after the National Piano Guild
Competition I announced that there would be no piano practicing for the
day. There was an eruption of cheers. And then. . .
Brig: But wait. What about Guild? Don't we have to practice for Guild?
Me: We already did it today, remember?
Brig: You mean. . . that was Guild?
obviously the biggest piano competition of the year was a little anticlimactic for him.
Clayton
was in his room working busily and quietly when Isaac charged in with a
foam sword and armor. After a few moments of loud ruckus, Clayton
burst from the room with disheveled hair and between breaths shouted to
the world,
"Isaac. . . can you please. . .stop. . . being. . . so. . . so. . . warlike?"
yes, please. it's my one hope in life. for all my children.
Eliza's friend was over at our house again. This time talking about camping. Eliza was of course listening wide-eyed:
"You mean, you've been real camping?"
oh you're kidding me, right? we just did the zoo. and now we've got to break out our camping gear? sheesh we really need to get more boring friends.
Eliza
likes to tell me everything naughty Lydia has been up to. It's
actually helpful sometimes to have an extra set of eyes on her. But
lately Eliza has become quite the tattler - making up her own
vocabulary as she goes,
"Mommeee, Lydia won't sklip off my blanket"
well that's because she's not old enough to sklip yet. sorry.
"Mommeee, Lydia thinks this sharshy is hers."
sharshy?? What's a. . .? never mind. everyone knows sharshies are for sharing.
"Mommeee, Lydia's being greasy to me."
oh dear. anything but greasy.
Nate left to run some errands
and told Isaac to sweep the garage while he was gone. This job should
have taken at least 30 minutes, but after only a few he came slinking
into the house giggling uncontrollably. When I asked him about it? He
said, "Mom, you'll never believe this. It's just like Tom Sawyer!" and then recounted this conversation to me:
Brig: Hey, Isaac! Do you want to play basketball with me?
Isaac: Um no, not right now. I'm doing something else.
Brig: What are you doing?
Isaac: Sweeping the garage.
Brig: Hey, can I try?
Isaac: No, Dad said only I can do it.
Brig: Please?
Isaac: Nope.
Brig: Please?
Isaac: Okay fine. You can sweep the rest. Just don't tell Dad I let you.
Brig: Oh, I promise.
sho
enough Brig was out there for the next 30 minutes sweeping. Nate came
home to a clean garage and not a word was mentioned otherwise.
No comments:
Post a Comment