Thursday, May 30, 2013

Spring Recital

We made it through another piano recital.  The boys were excited to perform in a new concert hall with a Steinway grand.  Thank you Ms. Asya for dedicating your life and your heart to music - and for teaching and inspiring us to love it as well.

Here is Isaac playing "Christmas Day Secret" by T. Dutton and "Allegro" by Suzuki.  I was most nervous about Isaac who, as of the morning of the recital, still could not play his pieces without note mistakes.  He wowed us all though with his nearly flawless performance. Watch especially Isaac's perfect piano hands - just want you to know that hours and hours of grueling practice went into that. Way to go, kiddo!

Brigham played, "The Happy Farmer" by Robert Schumann and "Minuet in G minor" by J.S. Bach.  Brigham owns it on the piano.  But I tell ya, no matter how many times I tuck in his shirt, that kid still ends up on stage with an untucked shirt, disheveled hair, and a crooked tie.  Asya has her students warm-up on the piano beforehand.  Parents are not allowed in during warm-ups.  I had a moment of panic when I walked into the concert hall at the beginning of the recital and I couldn't find Brigham.  My eyes scanned the rows of seated students waiting to begin and I didn't see him.  I started asking different people, "Have you seen Brigham?"  Finally a group of giggling girls caught my attention and pointed under the bench.  There was Brigham on the floor playing with some plastic gumball machine robots he'd stuffed in his pockets - completely oblivious that there was a even recital going on.  Love this kid.  At the end of the video I try to give him thumbs up as he passes by the camera - he nods with a very serious expression.  It's my favorite part.

I wasn't worried about Clayton at all.  He glides through his piano pieces (he's polishing 10 right now for the National Piano Guild Competition tomorrow!) during practicing and can play them flawlessly.  But he botched his second piece here.  Only slightly (he fumbled three notes) and he quickly recovered and made it through to the end, but it was momentarily frustrating for him. (I saved him some pain here - after all, this is the internet - and spliced out the second where he grabs his hair in frustration).  Luckily he's got a personality that just rolls with it, and he was fine immediately after.  Hey, it happens to the best of us.  Here he is performing "Vivace" by Kuhlau (fabulous job!) and "Little Waltz" by Gurlitt.
 

I love this picture of all the kids lined up to receive their awards.  Notice Brigham.
All three boys received GOLD medals on their state theory exams - Brigham and Isaac both with perfect scores.
They all got trophies and certificates.
And the best part of all?  Refreshments!
(just please no more carrots through the mail drop, guys.)
What a great recital.  Now onto the next big thing - the National Piano Guild Competition tomorrow morning.  Clayton and Brigham are both competing with 10 pieces and 6 scales each!  Wish them luck.

No comments: