Friday, July 5, 2013

America the Beautiful

I don't know if it's because I missed the Fourth of July in Oakley last year, or if it's because I recently read an unusual amount of books about America's founding and American soldiers overseas, or if it's because watching "Band of Brothers" really did get to me, or if it's because I'm just getting old and sentimental. . . but this Fourth of July meant something deeper to me this year.  I know it sounds cliche, but I am so grateful to live in this country and darned proud to be an American.  I don't care how many political bloggers out there complain, blame, and worry about it, America is still the home of the brave and the land of the free. And I am grateful to all the men and women who work hard to keep it that way.
 It was so much fun to celebrate the Fourth of July Oakley-style again this year.
 Which of course began with the candy-throwin', horse-cloppin', wagon-floatin' Oakely parade.  It was all my kids had dreamed of.
 Eliza changed her clothes three times, but I did convince her to wear this flag shirt for at least part of the day.  It made for some very cute patriotic pictures.  Here she is ready for the parade.
 She loved the horses and the "princesses" which you'll see in a minute.
 The boys loved the candy and the decorated flatbed floats.  This one had so many flags.  It was awesome.
 This was another favorite - taking us back to the Civil War.
 And here are my favorites:  These next few entries took me back to my glory days.  Here are the "princesses" Eliza loved.  Once upon a time I was Miss Summit County (you better believe it!) and I got to wave from a float like this.
 I also did my fair share of marching band. Oh yeah, I hefted a piccolo around in my back pocket.  Everyone else (with much larger instruments) was so jealous.
 And I was there too, riding on top of the firetruck with the cheer squad.  Rah! Rah! rah-rah-Rah! Cheering my lungs out.  It's nice to see that after 20 years, the Oakley parade is still pretty much exactly the same.
 It's tradition that when the parade is over all the kids get to ride home on the six-wheeler.  And truth be told, this might really be their favorite part of the parade.
 Then everyone heads back to the Ranch for a family barbeque.  My mom had enough barbeque beef and buns to feed an army.  Cousins and aunts and uncles gather from every direction bringing salads and sides and desserts and coolers full of soda pop. 
 It's always a feast.
 And always fun to see relatives we only see once a year.  I love it.
 After the food the kids and their cousins just scattered to the hills.  I didn't see my boys for the next six hours. Eliza hung out with me though while Lydia napped.  Which is why she is in all my pictures.
 And lucky girl - she got to go horseback riding.

 She also got to play in the stream with Annie - my adorable little second-cousin.
 And I got to meet my newest niece and nephew for the first time!!!!!!!  Aw, little Ellie and Joey are so cute.
 Eliza was in heaven with these babies.
 Lydia was happy to wake up and have a Popsicle.
 And Eliza even changed back into her flag shirt for the occasion.
  Later that night we headed over to the Oakley Rodeo.
 Brigham loved sitting next to his best bud, "Tates" while the rest of us endured lots of silliness because of it.
 The weather was perfect and I had fun playing around with my new camera lens.


 I love the cowboy hat in mid-air here.
 And look at that face - I can't even imagine what kind of muscle it takes to stay on a bucking bronco.


 Here's one straight out of the shoots.  I was glad to get the Oakley Rodeo sign in this shot.

 The fireworks were spectacular.

 Here's a quick video of Brigham and Tates watching the fireworks.  You won't find happier kids.
 So happy Fourth of July.  From my house to yours.  And to Poor Nate who was at work in Houston.  We all missed him and had he been here it would have been a perfect day.  I'm told that he had a good view of the fireworks from his office window though.  Still. . . sad.
  God bless the U.S.A.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Your pictures are AMAZING! The action shots at the rodeo are my favorite! You were meant to have a nice camera Emily because you know exactly how to use it!

Sorry I photo bombed your nice picture of the house. I obviously wasn't aware of what was going on there.

Emily said...

Photo bomb! Whatever! I actually picked the one with you in it! I also love the one with the three flags and the three boys. People in photos make things more real. I loved that you stepped out on the porch right on cue. I also have some cute pictures of Timmy on the horse. Ill email them to you.