Friday, July 12, 2013

Deep in the Heart of Oakley

When I was a kid my mom changed the words to the song "Deep in the Heart of Texas" to "Deep in the Heart of Oakley" for a town program. "The stars at night are big and bright. . . Ken and Dutch we love so much. . . You can always call on bishop Paul" It's funny how I still remember all the verses 25 years later.  So many things in Oakley are the same as they always have been.  Ken's Kash store, where we used to ride our bikes to buy ice cream and candy, still sells penny candy.  
Dutch's car service, where I used to drive our old farm truck over for gas even before I was old enough to drive, still looks exactly the same.  
The Oakley Town Hall used to be green.  But other than that everything, even my art teacher's painting of the eagle, is still the same.  

 
The Oakley Polar King still sells foot-longs, stum-burgers, and hard ice cream.  
The Road Island Diner is fairly new but their Boulderville Bleu Bacon burger, named after the street where I live, is the best burger I've tasted ever.

This year Oakely is doing something they haven't before - a farmer's market every Saturday.  My mom and I went over with the girls.  We got some fresh eggs, fresh bread, fresh-squeezed limeade, and gigantic chocolate cinnamon rolls.







Glad to see somethings never change. . .
We know we belong to the land
And the land we belong to is grand!
And when we say
Yeeow! Aye-yip-aye-yo-ee-ay!
We're only sayin'
You're doin' fine, Oakley, Utah!
Oakley, Utah O.K.!

No comments: