Saturday, August 31, 2013

August Rush

August was a rush to cram in all our last-ditch summer activities and get all ready for school.  August was hot - over a hundred degrees with humidity most days.  We (either all of us or part of us) went swimming almost everyday.  When we weren't swimming we were inside enjoying the air conditioning.  August was a month of Legos and origami.  Nerf battles, dress-ups, painting, and homemade forts.  August was full of good books.  Eliza started Dance class in August.  Brigham lost a tooth in August.  And Clayton received his Arrow of Light award for scouts.  August was a good month.
I toted all five kids and all our swim gear plus a salad and a tray of brownies to our ward pool party.  Ten minutes after our arrival Clayton had an allergic reaction to a peanut butter cookie. So I left all the other kids there with a friend (Thank you, Jess!) while I sped home with Clayton (whose tongue was swelling) for the epi pen.  Moments after I left, Brigham bit down too hard on a piece of chicken and knocked his loose tooth out.  By the time Nate arrived at the pool, I was nowhere to be seen and Brig was gushing blood.  But besides leaving my (cute pink) watch and Nate's football at the pool and Lydia almost drowning, everyone had a pretty good time.  For me, if we all come home alive it's a good day.
When we weren't at the pool, our long summer days were spent indoors.  The girls enjoyed having their brothers home all day.  These kids sure know how to have fun together!  I love these shots of Lydia and Eliza playing "Restaraunt" with Isaac.


Hegemon gets a lot more exercise (i.e. played with) during the summer than the school year.  Brigham discovered the magic of baseball gloves when handling his pokey pet.
Of course there's reading.  This is the scene I woke up to one morning.
Brigham's set of Beatrix Potter books were a big hit with Lydia and Eliza this summer.  Beatrix Potter - who originally wanted her books published this small - was right!  They are the perfect size for little hands.  The bottom step is Lydia's favorite place to read.  She can be found there often with a stack of books.


The boys kept track of the chapter books they read  over the summer. Clayton discovered Artemis Fowl and is hooked. Isaac discovered Percy Jackson.  He not only read the whole series in just a few weeks but also read Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles and his Heroes of Olympus series (not small books by any means)  He and Clayton can't wait for the 4th "Heroes" book to come out in October.  All three of the boys discovered the world of Origami Yoda this summer and spent the last several weeks pouring over the books and folding hundreds and hundreds of origami Star Wars puppets.
Besides the number of books, we also kept track of number of pages.  These numbers are pretty impressive. Especially Isaac who read 7,014 pages!  When he brought his list to school (the kids get prizes for bringing in their summer reading lists each year) his teacher was so impressed she sent him straight to the office to show the principal!  Ms. Rose gaped at Isaac's list and then took the time to chat with him in her office about all his favorite books and interests.  I love our principal.
Lydia grew up in August.  It's true.  For the first time in years, I can take the garbage out or sit down with one of the boys at the piano (or use the bathroom!) without having to worry about her physical safety.  She's much better on her feet these days.  She's not obsessed with the stairs anymore (besides just sitting on them).  And her habit of climbing up on everything has really mellowed out.  Lydia is the sweetest girl.



This is her "Hermoine" look. 
Beautiful dancing Eliza started Ballet in August.  Here she is on her first day.  Serious and a little shy.
But happy to wear her new ballet slippers and dance outfit.

Here she is ready for her second day of dance class!  Not so shy anymore.

Most of the pictures I took were a blur as she danced in circles around me. . . and around our whole house.  She has been dancing ever since.
Brigham and Eliza bonded this summer.  They have several games they play together.  One is this hilarious "Caballeros" game with homemade stick horses.  These kids get sillier and sillier with each other.  As you can see.



Here are Isaac and Brigham on guard as Union Soldiers.  They kept this up for hours - marching, performing drills, and finally a full-blown battle which, whether we enlisted or not, were all a part of.

Here is Eliza showing off her "war machine".  Poor girl.  I guess that's just what happens when you play Legos with three older brothers.
There was also time for the boys to play some of the girls games.  Brigham is dressed as a knight defending the princess castle.
Defending the castle that is, from the "slug monster" of course!


Clayton used his hut-building prowess to convert the princes castle into the castle of all castles.
And this is where they hid out for an entire day.
Lydia and Eliza discovered water colors.  Everyday was a painting day.  One day Eliza was painting Ariel purple. As I walked by I mentioned that Ariel's skin isn't supposed to be purple.  To which she replied, "That's not skin.  That's her shirt."  Good girl.  Yes, silly me.  Of course that's Ariel's purple shirt.



I've had these little baby books lying around for years.  I finally found some time to put pictures in them.  Oh my!  I wish I didn't wait so long.  These books may have been the best thing that happened to Lydia and Eliza. . . ever!  They tote them everywhere and pour of these pictures.  They especially love the pictures on front that show their special blankets.

Origami puppets have taken over the universe.  We have hundreds of them.  Literally.  These puppets talk too.  I'm still getting used to them answering me in place of the kid I addressed.  If I say, "Brigham it's time to do your practicing." I'm suddenly face to face with a small paper version of Yoda (who talks with his chin) "Practicing there is not.  Only play."  Do you see what I'm up against?

Here's Yoda, Luke, Leia, and Darth - these were made especially for Isaac's FHE lesson.
Isaac is showing Brigham Anakin's face underneath the Darth Vader mask. I love the smile.
Here are a few more including Clayton's wizard that told fortunes, cast good spells, and gave out dollar bills.  We liked that one.
Clayton also experimented with other (more sophisticated) forms of origami. Here are a few of his works of art.

But this little Ewok is my favorite by far.  It was an "I'm sorry" gift to Brigham from Isaac.  He couldn't have picked a more grateful recipient.  Brigham - our lover of all things little - cherishes this cute miniature puppet.  Good job, Isaac.
Eliza is loving writing and drawing lately.  And we are loving watching her.

Despite the heat, we still made it outside occasionally.  It was always worth it.






Especially to see this hawk land and watch us from our backyard fence.

And lastly, here a few pictures from the last pack meeting where Clayton received his "Arrow of Light" award.  It's a big accomplishment for him (especially since I hardly helped him at all). 
Here's the lemon rolling race.
Clayton took first place overall.

Here he is moving his name up to the top rung - Arrow of Light.

We're so proud of you, kiddo.
Hooray for August!  And bring on September!  We're ready.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Whoa. Your kids are amazing. Our summer reading list had one book each. You are amazing. Your whole family is amazing.

Emily said...

It's because you're land-locked and you don't take insane 69 hour long road trips like us. It's how they survived the boredom. . .