Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Tragic Day

I don't think there was ever a hedgehog so loved. . .

or a boy. . .

so loved by a hedgehog.

Hegemon, Brigham's beloved hedgehog, died the day before yesterday. Quite suddenly and out of the blue.  It was a very very sad day at the Smith household - especially for Brigham.  On Saturday the kids were playing with Hegemon in the backyard as usual.  They were having so much fun - Brigham has learned how to get Hegemon to come right to him and crawl into his lap.  They looked so cute out there I thought about grabbing my camera.  Now I wish I had.  On Sunday when we came home from church Brigham commented on how Hegemon was not in his little dome.  This is very odd - he sleeps during the day and is always in his dome.  I thought something might be wrong but when we took him out he seemed a little tired but fine.  Later that night when I checked on him before bed, I knew something was wrong.  He was outside his dome again, not curled up which was unusual, and he hadn't eaten any of his food.  On Monday morning he looked worse. We have no idea what happened.  He may have eaten something poisonous outside.  There may have been dish soap left in his water bottle after Brigham cleaned it. We have no idea. All the animal clinics were closed for Labor Day.  Nate finally located an emergency clinic 40 minutes away and scheduled an immediate appointment.  Before he left, we gathered the family around.  Brigham asked if he could hold Hegemon before they left.  When Brigham picked him up, Hegemon lifted his head, looked at Brigham, and then died.  Right in Brigham's arms.  It was almost as if he'd held on just long enough to say to goodbye to Brigham.  I can't even describe the scene that followed without my heart breaking all over again.  It was as if a piece of Brigham had just been taken and crushed. My usually composed child broke into uncontrollable anguished sobs.  We all cried for him.
 So instead of spending the day at the emergency animal clinic, we spent it at a funeral.  We had a brief burial service.  Everyone said a few words and shared their favorite memories of Hegemon.
 Brigham designed a garden stone.

 And (just by perfect timing actually) I finished Brigham's hedgehog quilt.  Which is waiting on his bed for him when he comes home from school today.  I hope it will be a at least a small comfort to him.

 It matches Isaac's military quilt that I made last year.


 The night after Hegemon died Brigham cried himself to sleep.  Nate and I each went up several times to talk to him and try to comfort him.  Our home teacher even called to check up on him.  The next day he walked sadly to school and I worried about him all day.  After school he told me something that I hope he will never ever forget.  He said,
"Last night I was so sad about Hegemon that I couldn't sleep.  So I prayed.  I prayed so hard that I was like looking up into heaven.  And then I felt peace like something was right by my heart. It felt like Hegemon and I fell asleep. When I woke up I still felt like Hegemon was right by my heart and it was like that all day.  I felt it so much that I stopped wanting another hedgehog anymore.  I felt like I already had one."

If Heavenly Father notices even the smallest sparrow, surely he is mindful of a hedgehog. . .

and a boy. . .

who loved that hedgehog more than anything else.

You will be missed, little friend.

6 comments:

Mandy and Brian said...

Oh I'm so sorry about Hegemon. I remember how hard it was to lose some of my pets growing up. I'm so glad that Brigham is doing better. That story about him praying is so so sweet. What a blessed boy to have parents who have taught him that there is a Heavenly Father who loves him and all creatures. Rest in Peace Hegemon.

Jessica McKay said...

So sweet! We are so sad Hegemon is gone.
Your quilt is beautiful and looks perfect with Isaac's. It was perfect timing to finish it for Briggs.
We will miss Hegemon.

Jenny said...

I cried when I read this. I feel so sorry for Brigham. It brought back memories of my own tears when my beloved pets passed on. I bawled like a baby out loud in the computer lab at BYU when I got the e-mail about Bitsy being given away. It is heart wrenching to say goodbye, but those memories and pictures with Hegemon and that beautiful quilt will be precious forever.

Thanks for sharing Brigham's story of how Heavenly Father answered his prayers with feelings of peace and comfort. It helps strengthen my own testimony of prayer.

Nikki said...

This is so sweet! I cried when I read this. Rest in peace Hegemon.

melissa said...

I was so sad to hear about the death of Hegemon. That is the hardest part about having pets that you care for and love, but it sounds like Brigham learned some great lessons and has some wonderful memories and mementos (the beautiful quilt, pictures and darling book) to keep Hegemon always in remembrance. I have the book on a table in the living room and will always love seeing the pictures of Brigham with his little pet. Brigham is such a special guy!

Allison said...

Oh man, both Dave and I teared up when we read this. My heart broke for poor little Brigham, he is so tenderhearted!