Saturday, September 7, 2013

August Books

My books for August are beautifully color coordinated, I just realized. But that's about as much as these books have in common.  Here's the (very late) lineup for August:

Covenant Motherhood:  5+ Stars
This book changed my life. (Thank you, Jess for recommending it!)  I haven't read a book that influenced the way, the how, and especially the why I parent since I read Christlike Parenting by Glenn Latham.  But I enjoyed this one more.  I laughed.  I cried.  But mostly I thought. . . and thought.  Each chapter focuses on one attribute of Christ and relates it to the daily things mothers already do.  Stephanie Sorensen draws spiritual parallels between the life of Christ and the life of a mother.  She clearly outlines how "all things bear record" of the Savior - Yes, even laundry, dishes, cooking, and cleaning.  I can never open a cluttered closet without thinking, "Behold, here is matter unorganized", or fold my endless cycle of laundry without reflecting on the atonement.  I can never prepare a meal for my family without remembering all the times Christ prepared food, broke bread, and taught over meals.
The biggest eye opener for me though came when she quotes a journal entry of a seemingly typical day as a mother.  She woke to the sound of her children arguing and then one tattling on the other.  She prepared breakfast, packed lunches, shuffled the oldest off to school.  Finally dressed the one-year-old who had been running around in a diaper.  Changed another messy diaper. Filled a sippy cup. Folded laundry, printed directions, found some missing soccer gear, made some cookies (despite missing some ingredients) for a meeting that night. Put the baby down for a nap.  Read to an older child.  Went to check on the crying baby who woke up with a fever.  Soothed.  Gave Tylenol. Called the doctor.  The day goes on with an unplanned trip to the grocery store for "snacks" for the soccer team, a soccer game, a trip to the doctor and a thrown together dinner for the family.  She then quotes the scripture:
"For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye administered unto me. . . Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these. . . ye have done it unto me."
I always thought of that scripture as something (among many) that I ought to be doing but can't because I'm so busy with my own children. It never occurred to me that at this stage in my life, "the least of these" is my own children.
I don't know how I missed it all these years, but instead of begrudging the endless chores of motherhood, I finally see purpose, meaning, and a reflection of Christ in them.  And that has made all the difference. This book is an absolute treasure that every mother should read.

The One and Only Ivan: 4.5 Stars
This is such a sweet story - told in first person from the perspective of a gorilla who lives in a shopping mall.  Normally I don't really get into books with talking animals. But the seamless, almost poetic writing had me hooked. And quite honestly, the characters captured my heart. There is much to be learned from Ivan who, out of compassion for his friend, decides "It's never too late to be what you might have been."  This book is a (surprisingly) deep and touching tale of tenderness, empathy, hope, and humanity.  I loved it.

Ghetto Cowboy: 4 Stars
Wow.  This book took me way back.  The urban language, feel, and voice of this book brought back so many memories and faces from South Chicago.  I read this book to Clayton and Isaac.  And I was glad I did because I had to edit some of the language and explain a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary like ghetto, juvie, and corner boy.  Isaac kept asking when this book was written and when it takes place.  I finally realized that urban black culture is so foreign to him that he assumed it had been written about a different place and time. It's not. These communities exist today - here - and face far more challenges than just poverty.  There were parts of this story that rubbed me wrong (like when the main character solves his problem by breaking the law??) but mostly I found the unique combination of horses and inner-city life absolutely fascinating. I'm glad to have opened up a new world to my kids.  And to myself.  This book is an interesting, heartfelt, and worthwhile read.


Insurgent: 3. 5 Stars
The Divergent Trilogy is to Hunger Games as Percy Jackson is to Harry Potter.  Page-turning good.  But only second best.  I'd forgotten about this book actually.  I read Divergent (book 1) last year and loved it.  But it must not have been that memorable because it wasn't until I saw a poster for Allegiant (book 3) a few weeks ago that I remembered I hadn't even read book 2 yet.  It kept my attention page after page and there were some great and unexpected turns, to which I applaud the author.  But overall, it was just too over-the-top violent for me.  That being said, I'm planning on reading book 3 when it comes out next month. Ha!  Unless I forget in the meantime.

Picture Book Spotlight:  Cinderella by Kinuko Craft

My girls are into princesses.  And as much as I love the Disney princesses - I do!  I also love the world of non-Disney princesses out there.  Eliza and I recently discovered some princess books by Kinuko Craft at the library. It was love at first sight. We have been pouring over her exquisite illustrations - which speak volumes. Here is a look at her version of Cinderella.
Before they ever meet at the palace, the prince happens upon Cinderella helping a wounded bird in the forest.  He falls in love with her kindness long before he falls in love with her beauty.
Oh, to have ball gown like that!  I could not have dreamed up a better dress.
I love these steps - the hugeness of them.
And of course the royal wedding is everything it ought to be.
My favorite page is the end. "And When they inherited the kingdom, Cinderella and her prince became known far and wide as the fairest and kindest rulers the people had ever known."
Here are a few more of our favorite Kinuko Craft books from our library. King Midas, Sleeping Beauty, and The Twelve Dancing Princesses.  Her artwork portrays emotions and relationships so well - the grieved father, the King who thought he loved gold more than anything else, and the conspiring sisters.  You can say it with words all you want, but nothing speaks so well as a masterful illustration.
Happy Reading Everyone!

2 comments:

melissa said...

Emily, your book reviews are such an inspiration! I feel like a better, more educated person just from reading your reviews, even if I never get around to reading the books. What a gift you are giving your children!

Mandy and Brian said...

I agree with mom. I also love the Frog Princess by Kinuko Craft. Mom had it as part of her Russian collection, and I used to read it over and over again because of the illustrations.