Monday, October 7, 2013

September Books

Some great books this month - wow.  I would reread any of these in a heartbeat.

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life: 4 Stars
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Walter Isaacson does a fabulous job bringing to life all the colors of Benjamin Franklin - what a character! He was like 18 people all at once.  I swear he did more - influenced more - with his life than I thought humanly possible.  I kept thinking, "Wait, Franklin did that too?  and What?  That was originally Franklin's idea?"  Walter Isaacson's take on Franklin is really a look into the soul of America. But he makes an interesting point that Franklin, as well as all the founding fathers, were actually pre-American.  They were the ground layers of this nation.  And Franklin, more than anybody, was an embodiment of the virtues and principles - ingenuity, frugality, democracy, a hard-working middle class, and pragmatism - that would later become branded as "American" principles.
Here's how I'd sum up the progression of Franklin's life: He was first an Englishman in America.  Then an Englishman in England.  Then American in America.  Then an American in England.  Then an American rock star in France. And finally an American rock star in America. I loved learning about his early life - particularly his life as an apprentice in his brother's printing shop (where he spent his food money on books!) I got a real kick out of a series of letters published by Franklin's brother in his New-England Courant written by a middle-aged widow named Silence Dogood. The letters poked fun at various aspects of life in colonial America. She was particularly fond of ridiculing Harvard.  It was only discovered after the fact that they had really all been written and submitted by 16-year-old Benjamin Franklin - much to the embarrassment of his older brother.
I also got a kick out of his attempts to invent musical instruments, the scientific "tricks" he played with water, the dynamics between he and John Adams, and his defense for the turkey as the national bird.  "For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."
So here's what I learned, Benjamin Franklin was great at practically everything.  Especially anything that required winning friends and influencing people. Franklin was a great author, printer, postmaster, politician, civic activist, statesman, inventor, scientist, musician, and diplomat. He was not, however, a great family man. Or a great poet.
He was a highly respected member and a leading voice during the constitutional convention, not just because of his age and experience, or because he stood before kings, but because of his wisdom, reason, and unique ability to seek compromise.  I loved his statement:
 “The longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?” 
I loved this book from beginning to end. And found myself pondering, as Franklin did, how I can best live a life that is useful, virtuous, worthy, moral, and spiritually meaningful. There is no doubt that Franklin's influence spans the generations. He was an extraordinary human being.

Inside Out and Back Again: 5 Stars
I first read this a year ago. I just read it again with Clayton and Isaac.  And I assure you, it is every bit as wonderful the second time. How do I describe this book?  It's like music. It's like honey. . . and then without warning it's tear drops. There are no words to describe the beauty of it, except for handing you the book itself, which is written entirely in prose.  Inside Out and Back Again is told from the perspective of a 10-year-old girl named Ha' who escapes with her family during the Vietnam war. Leaving her beloved papaya tree behind in Saigon, she boards an overcrowded ship with her family and moves to Alabama where they face all the challenges of immigrant life.  Ha's three older brothers mirror my three boys almost exactly.
I especially loved what Thanhha Lai writes in her "Author's Note" at the end of this book.
"Much of what happened to Ha' in Inside Out and Back Again happened to me.  I too witnessed the end of the Vietnam war and fled to Alabama with my family.  I too had a father who was missing in action.  I also had to learn English and even had my arm hair pulled on the first day of school.
But aside from remembering facts, I worked hard to capture Ha's emotional life.  What was it like to live where bombs exploded every night yet where sweet snacks popped up at every corner?  What was it like to sit on a ship heading toward hope?  What was it like to go from knowing you're smart to feeling dumb all the time? The emotional aspect is important because of something I noticed in my nieces and nephews.  They may know in general where their parents came from, but they can't really imagine the noises and smells of Vietnam, the daily challenges of starting over in a strange land.
I extend this idea to all: How much do we know about those around us?  I hope after you finish this book that you sit close to someone you love and implore that person to tell and tell and tell their story."

Baby: 3 Stars
I read this book with Clayton and Isaac.  I think Isaac described it perfectly when he said, "This is not an adventure book.  This is a feeling book.  It makes you think about how people feel.  I think adventure books are better but. . . I still like this." This book tells the sweet story of a family who loses a baby at birth.  Still in the midst of their grief, they are surprised one day to  find a baby left at their doorstep with a nametag, "Sophie" and a note from the mother explaining that she cannot take care of the child but will come for her as soon as she can. The family takes Sophie in but they are wary.  They try so hard not to love her - fearing the heartache that will come when they lose her.  But bit by bit the baby gets into everyone's hearts.  And love heals and changes them all for the better.  This book made me think about the difference between missing someone and loving them.  It is so tenderly written.  My boys (surprisingly) had no complaints despite the slow pace. It gave us a lot to think about.

Behind the Beautiful Forevers: 4 Stars
This book recounts the lives of a few families living in the slums of Mumbai.  I've been to slums like these in other parts of the world - miles and miles of cramped filthy open-sewer living. It's shocking to see. And just as shocking to read about.  The first few chapters are so depressing, I probably would have put it down had I not known it was an actual documentary. Every name, event, police report, hospital record, and court preceding is real.  And that's the shocking part.  Behind the Beautiful Forevers is a heart-wrenching reminder that wherever there is abject poverty, there is desperation.  And where there is desperation, there is crime and unthinkable corruption.  My heart aches for these people.  I could not help but weep over this book and all the people of the world who struggle daily for survival and hope.  I applaud Katherine Boo for submerging herself in their world with an open heart.

The Heiress of Winterwood: 4 Stars
This is not Jane Austen by any stretch of the imagination.  I wouldn't even say it's especially good writing.  But the story captivated me. And there is something to be said for good storytelling.  I couldn't even walk past this book without picking it up, I was so sucked in.  I read it in two days - (two very busy-shouldn't-have-read days) - squeezing in a few pages here and a few paragraphs there.  And getting up again after everyone had gone to bed to read some more. That's how addicted dedicated I am to a good story. This book is full of  great characters, fast-paced adventure, unexpected turns, and sweet Austen-style romance.  The reoccurring references to Psalms was so refreshing. I'm already counting down the months until December when The Headmistress of Rosemere, the second book in Sarah Ladd's trilogy, will be released. 

The God Who Weeps: 5 Stars
This is an amazing book.  It is incredibly written and offers a compelling scholarly view of the nature of God and our relationship with Him. It's a book that needs to be read and reread. . . and reread.  Every word holds weight. Terryl and Fiona Givens clearly and logically present the case for not just the existence of God, but also God's comprehensible compassion and concern for His children.
While written from a Mormon perspective, it is in no way a sectarian sermon or argument. The tone is one of gentle persuasion and clear reason - much like C.S. Lewis. I would feel comfortable giving this book to anyone of any religious preference concerned about the big questions of life. Terryl and Fiona Givens have put into words the deepest feelings of my heart and yearnings of my soul. Beautifully written.

Picture Book Spotlight: Beauty and the Beast
I might be addicted to princess books - gah! Just like my girls! But out of all the princess stories, Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite and this version is hauntingly beautiful.  I discovered it at the library (of course!) They must know me by now as the lady who checks out princess books (for the girls) and Artemis Fowl books (for Clayton) and war books (for Isaac) and animal books (for Brigham) by the armfuls!
Max Eilenberg captures the heart of Beauty so well. And the anguish of the Beast. That, combined with Angela Barrett's entrancing illustrations, makes for an unforgettable fairytale.  When I have enough room on my bookshelf, I'm buying this book.







No comments: