Surprisingly, February was another great month for reading - despite all the Olympics (and Downton) we watched. I read 8 books this month. All good ones too. Here's the lineup.
Prodigy: 3 Stars
This is the second book in the post apocalyptic Legend series. I admit, I was sucked in again just like the first. It had some interesting twists and turns that I truly didn't see coming. 3 stars for the ending though - blahh! I hate cliff hangers! It's funny, I finished reading this book the same day I took Clayton to the middle school open house, where I just happened to snag the 6th-8th grade reading list. Yep, you guessed it. Prodigy was on the list. Along with half a dozen other books I've read recently! (what??) Aren't you glad to know I'm such an avid middle school reader? Ha!
Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: 4.5 Stars
This is one of those books I'd heard talked about and referenced so many times, I felt like I'd read it. I'm so glad I finally did! I loved this book. Loved it. It made me exhausted to even think about being a teacher again, but excited about teaching my own kids over the summer. I took pages of notes, made lists, and looked up dozens of websites from this book. And I've already started organizing my own curriculum of summer writing, art, and film projects (Shakespeare, here we come!). I picked up some clever math games and test prep techniques. I was inspired by Rafe's "six levels of moral behavior" and the way he taught, implemented, and referenced them constantly, not just in the classroom but through literature, film, travel, and sports. I particularly loved the sections in his book on music and serving others in the community. Wow. I learned so much. And in the end it made me appreciate and admire dedicated teachers like Rafe Esquith who raise not only the standard of achievement but the standard of teaching. It takes such an incredible person to do that. I'm glad to have had the chance to delve into his life as a teacher in room 56.
Consider the Blessings: 5 Stars
This is a collection of stories told by President Monson throughout the years. When I was a child, he was always my favorite speaker during General Conference because he always told stories. Turns out I still love stories. My kids and I enjoyed reading these together. Some were simple. Some were powerful. But each made us remember the many tender mercies of God. What a treasure! We especially loved this story about my grandfather Edwin Q. Cannon Jr. "Pop". (Thanks for letting me borrow this book, Jess!)
The Triple Package: 4 Stars
Wow. This, apparently has become quite a controversial book. It's getting scathing reviews from mostly people who didn't read it. And fabulous reviews from people who did. So here's my review: It's worth reading. It's definitely worth thinking about. And the only thing I found remotely controversial about it was the title, which sounds a lot like stereotyping - or like it's suggesting that some cultural groups are superior. But when carefully read, the book actually debunks that. Amy Chua claims that "the triple package" traits (superiority complex, insecurity - the drive to prove oneself, and impulse control) together, contribute to the highest probability of economic, academic, and/or political success. She writes that these triple package traits give some groups a cultural edge and are found most prominently in Indian and Chinese Americans, immigrant groups, Jews, Cubans, Mormons, and Nigerians. Besides this book being an interesting look at specific cultural groups - their history, practices, and values - within America, I also found it to be a fascinating study on American culture in general and how it has changed over the centuries (for better or for worse).
Overall, I don't think this book will rock the earth, (and there were a few aspects that rubbed me wrong), but truth be told, I think it has some validity. I agree that there are certain traits, habits, principles, and characteristics that probably lead to a higher success rate. And I definitely agree that these traits can be taught and learned. Amy Chua delves into the how and why these traits are more integrated in certain American cultural groups. The research in this book is thought-provoking.
Here's an excerpt about the "triple package" theory (with my own comments added in parenthesis). You decide if you fit.
• Americans are taught that everyone is equal, that no group
is superior to another. But remarkably, all of America’s most successful
groups believe, even if they don’t say so aloud, that they’re exceptional, chosen, superior in some way. (be in the world but not of the world. our lives have purpose, meaning, and direction. I am a child of God. we have callings. divine nature. )
• Americans are taught that self-esteem—feeling good about
yourself—is the key to a successful life. But in all of America’s most
successful groups, people tend to feel insecure, inadequate, that they have to prove themselves. (be humble, selfless, and never complacent. love others. esteem God (not oneself). "He will try you and prove you herewith". faith without works is dead. be anxiously engaged. endure to the end. the natural man is an enemy to God.)
• America today spreads a message of immediate gratification,
living for the moment. But all of America’s most successful groups
cultivate heightened discipline and impulse control. (word of wisdom, for the strength of youth, missionary program, unpaid church callings, service projects, church meetings, tithing, fasting, sabbath day observance, law of chastity.)The Witch of Blackbird Pond: 4 Stars
I love this book. I loved it when I was in 6th grade and too young to really even understand it. And I loved reading it again with Clayton and Isaac. It's so well-written. . . fantastic literature. Yet I was still a little surprised that my boys enjoyed it so much. They still talk about it. Isaac loved Nat's character - and his ship, of course. Clayton really got into the whole injustice of the witch trial. And who doesn't love Kit? Don't we all want to be like Kit? Great message. Great story. It would make such a great movie.
The Peach Keeper: 3 Stars
This isn't really my kind of book. I kept telling myself that - but then I kept liking it more and more. I especially enjoyed and appreciated the relationships in this book - family, friendships, and romance alike - and how they folded and unfolded throughout. It was a breath of fresh air.
As I Have Loved You: 5 Stars
This is an amazing story! It is the story of Kitty De Ruyter - her life as a child in Indonesia, then in a concentration camp during WWII, in Holland after the war, and finally the United States where she joined the church. This book is a powerful testimony of families, the strength, wisdom, and virtue of an incredible mother, and the power of faith and enduring love through the most unimaginable times. I let my boys listen to the audio version of this book, narrated by Kitty De Ruyter (I loved her accent). Their favorite part was her discovery of the hidden jewels and the message that kindness is always repaid. Here is a picture of Kitty today wearing her American flag. She lives in Salt Lake City with her family. What a story.
Mothering With Spiritual Power: 4.5 Stars
I needed this book. It was refreshing to read a book by a mother that sounds just like me - juggling five kids (same ages as mine), her love of literature, her tendencies to raise her voice and burn out. It felt like a conversation with a good friend. I loved the many connections she made between motherhood and well loved scriptures. Her book is based on twenty-four Book of Mormon scriptures. Each chapter focuses on a different scripture and how it relates to mothers specifically. I printed out all the scriptures and am trying to focus on one each week. This book has given me a lot to think about and plenty of ideas for becoming a more patient, nurturing, and spiritual mom.



4 comments:
I always love your book reviews. I just found out today that Kitty De Ruyter will be speaking to my ward Relief Society next week for our RS birthday celebration! I am getting her book tomorrow to read before then!
Ah! I'm so jealous! Her story really is amazing. I can't believe you'll get to hear it in person. You'll have to tell me all about it.
I am excited to read these books! Have you read The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen? I just finished it and I bet your boys would like it. It was a bit predictable, but a good medieval-type fantasy read.
Isaac just read The False Prince and loved it. I think I'll have to read this series. The third book just came out right?
Post a Comment