Monday, April 7, 2014
March 2014 Books
Eight books - mostly fiction. Four Newbery Award Winners. Here's the line-up for March:
Born to Run - 4 Stars
This book wins the award for being the only non-fiction book I read this entire month. It also wins the award for inspiring me to eat salad for breakfast and chia seeds for lunch. It didn't inspire me to run though. Sorry. I still hate running. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book though. I fell in love with the Tarahumara Indians and reading about them brought back all the memories, sights, and smells of Mexico. The research in this book is fascinating and I was so drawn by the crazy lives of these ultramarathon runners. Great read - Thanks Mandy and Brian from recommending it!
The Magicians Nephew - 4 Stars
We listened to this in the car. Kenneth Branagh is the narrator and he is fantastic - he even does all the voices of the animals. It's amazing. Oh how I love this series - I am so excited to escape to the land of Narnia again with my kids. (Thanks for letting us borrow these CD's, Jess)
The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg - 4 Stars
What a great book! This was a perfect read aloud for my boys. It's a fictional story about a runaway boy from Maine who gets tangled up with thugs, plays a key role in the underground railroad, performs with a traveling road show and elixir wagon, crosses enemy territory in a stolen hot air balloon, and ends up in the battle of Gettysburg. Does it get any better? It's no wonder this book won the Newbery. When we weren't on the edge of our seats we were rolling with laughter. Loved every second of this rollicking, "mostly true", story.
From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - 4 Stars
I read this book with Brigham. How could you not love a book about two kids who run away to live in a museum? Seriously. Isn't that every kid's dream? Despite worrying that this book might give Brigham some ideas about running away or fishing money out of fountains, we both thoroughly enjoyed the adventure. He understood the Michelangelo controversy way better than I did as a kid.
Little House in the Big Woods - 3 Stars
I read this with Brigham and Eliza while the other boys were in Washington D.C. I needed something that would work for a 7-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl. But that Brigham hadn't read yet (like Charlotte's Web). This was perfect. I'd forgotten what a great history lesson these books are! The Little House on the Prarie books were my very favorite as a child. I was Larua Ingalls (just ask my mom) and my older sister was Mary and my little sister was baby Carrie. It was fun to relive those days. These books are a wonderful introduction to pioneer life and with plenty of pictures throughout, they're a perfect read aloud for very young children. I'm looking forward to "Farmer Boy" next!
Allegiant - 1.5 Stars
Lame. Lame. Lame. This last book kind of ruined all the others for me. It took such a tangent that the characters weren't even themselves anymore. There was some thought provoking dialogue about genetics, agency, and the sanctity of life which was well-placed. But overall I was disappointed to see the Divergent Trilogy end this way. boo. Not too excited about the movie either. double boo.
Flora and Ulysses - 4.5 Stars
How can anyone not love a superhero squirrel? Especially one that types poetry! This 2014 Newbery Winner is hilarious. It is Kate DiCamillo at her very best (Yet again! How many Newbery's can she accumulate?) On one level the book is full of oddball characters, wacky banter, outlandish turns of events, and good old-fashioned superhero humor. On another level it's about loyalty, friendship, family bonds, forgiveness, and healing the human heart. I loved it. Flora and Ulysses are "illuminating"!
Champion - 4.5 Stars
This is the last book in the post apocalyptic Legend Series and I could not have hoped for a better ending to this trilogy. I read it twice and cried both times. Great series. Not on the same level as Hunger Games but close. And the ending is way better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment