Sunday, June 8, 2014

I Love Mom Day

I love Mother's Day.  This year I was especially lucky to spend Mother's Day with my own mother.  I am also a lucky mother to have kids who got up early to make a surprise Mother's Day breakfast.  Before my mom and I were even awake (which meant these kids had to get up reeeeeeally early since my mom is always up before the crack of dawn) vegetables were being chopped, sausage was sizzling, eggs were being flipped and stirred, and the whole house smelled so delicious.  My mom and I woke up to the sound of hushed voices and a lot of little feet scuffling about the kitchen.  We all enjoyed a fabulous breakfast - complete with a table display of flowers and a whole bunch of handmade Mother's Day cards.


Eliza wrote a note inside her card.  It says, "I will practice my violin."  This girl knows my heart well.  :)
Brigham worked on this Mother's Day writing assignment at school for a week.  There are some great excerpts here:  "Houston Mom Wins Prestigious Mother of the Year Award!"
I love this analysis: "Emily is awared with the Mother of the Year award because she cleans up after her five children.  Now the kids can have a happy life in what they think is a new house.  But it is really the same house, just cleaned up."  Isn't it so true?
". . . she cooks the best food.  All five of her children are always excited for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It is probably hard to cook for all five children.  She is a great cook."  Okay.  Guys.  Anyone who knows me, knows I don't cook.  At. All.  I just about died of laughter (and guilt) after reading this.  Poor Brig.  If only he knew what real cooking is. . .
But this next part melted my heart.  "What is the most important thing you have learned from your mom?  I've learned to never give up even when you know it'll only get harder."  And then this:  "If you could give your mom anything in the world, what would it be?  I would give my mom a huge nice warm hug because she likes that and because she does so much work for me."  It's true.  I do love nice warm hugs. I'm glad there are always plenty to go around.
I sure love being the mom of these awesome kids.  And having my own mom come all the way to visit was a dream come true.
Happy Mother's Day to all the inspiring, hard-working, selfless, and courageous mother's out there.  Where would our world be without you?  Where would I be without you?  Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: