Monday, June 9, 2014

It's All About Bartok

 Brigham was Bela Bartok this year for the 2nd Grade "Wax Museum".   And, despite what you might think, I had nothing-nothing to do with this.  His piano teacher introduced him to Bartok and he just sort of fell in love with Bartok's smart, playful, and quirky style.  I studied Bartok in college, but mostly because of his connection with Kodaly and the Budapest Acadamy of Music and, of course, his folk music research.  But other than that, I didn't know much about his life, especially his life as a young boy or his flee to the United States during the Nazi invasion.  It was interesting to get to know him through Brigham's research.  It turns out Brigham and Bartok have more in common that I you'd think - and not just hedgehogs!

 Brigham wowed everybody with his Bartok performances. He was so serious.  I could hardly get him to smile!

 Here he is with his fabulous teacher.
 And talking to the principal.  
And, of course, on the bookshelf next to the original "Hedgamin Franklin" book, sits Brigham's newest installment, "Hedgamin Franklin's Play Song" Written and Illustrated by Brigham Smith, Music by Bela Bartok.
 Here he is performing three songs by the famous composer: "Hungarian Folk Song", "Play Song", and "Teasing Song".
Great job, Brigham.  You did Bartok proud!



No comments: