Thursday, January 29, 2015

On Christmas Day

This Christmas was our best Christmas yet.  I don't know if it's because everyone's dreams (plus more!) came true this year or because Nate and I (for the first time ever) got enough sleep on Christmas Eve or because our children are older and more appreciative or because we made present opening last all day - taking our time to enjoy each gift, or simply because Christmas is Christmas - splendid and magical. Here's a look at our wonderful Christmas day:
I snapped a picture of the kids peeking at what Santa brought below for the first time.
Here's the lineup at the top of the stairs.  Look at Eliza's yawn!

Eliza has been wanting a "pink rocking horse" ever since last Christmas.  Her wish finally came true!  Of course, Lydia wanted a rocking horse too - brown with a purple bow.  These girls were so surprised!



The boys were surprised to find letters addressed to them on curious parchment with the Hogwarts seal. They were stunned (no pun intended!) to read that they'd been invited to attend Hogwarts the following week!
Rolled up with their letters were these shirts.

The letters were different for each of the boys.  Here's Isaac's: 
Isaac and Clayton are looking at a Harry Potter insults book.
In addition to Hogwarts letters, Clayton also got a set of puzzles (which he solved immediately after opening the box - darn it!)
Isaac got the Lego Star Wars set he'd been drooling over.

Brigham got a stuffed hedgehog (surprise, surprise)
and a ukulele!

With in an hour, he was already plucking out Silent Night!
The ukulele quickly became the most popular Christmas gift.

Eliza even decided it could be played like a violin.
Happy happy kids!
On to stockings!


Lydia found her favorite gift of all inside her stocking 

So did Clayton!
After stocking we ate breakfast - sticky rolls and breakfast casserole!
The girls changed into their new dresses.


And spent the rest of the morning galloping around on their rocking horses.


Lydia is wearing her new Elsa gloves.
And Clayton is taking Eliza on a pony ride around and around and around the house (best brother ever!)

Next it was time to open the presents from each other.  Eliza painted rocks for everyone.
Isaac gave Brig an indoor soccer ball.
And Clayton a whoopee cushion.

The girls got jewelry boxes


And Nate gave the girls jewelry to go in them. A necklace with wooden beads for Lydia and a locket for Eliza.
He knows how to win the hearts of his girls!
Nate gave Clayton "Flatland" - a book about dimensions way over my head.
I gave each of the kids a pop-up book.  For Isaac, Harry Potter.
Which even came with it's own "howler"
Eliza and Lydia got Cinderella.  (Can't wait for the new movie!)
Clayton got a book of Pop-up instructions.  It shows dozens of working models to make your own pop-ups.  
Brigham got a joke book about a dragon. It's hilarious.
Eliza drew a picture of our family on the earth with a rainbow for Nate (who is wearing light up sunglasses from Isaac). 
She wrote (or rather I wrote while she dictated): "Merry Christmas Dad!  My favorite thing to do with you is play "Bears"  I like when you watch soccer with me. I love when you hug me especially tickle-tiger hugs.  When you come up to say good night I like when you give me water. I like you a lot.  You are a smart strong dad.  You can lift up mom and toss me up in the air.  I love you more than anything.  And I love my whole family more than anything.  And I love the whole world more than anything. That's what I love.  From Eliza."
Uncle Drew sent the boys this awesome 3-D globe puzzle (coolest gift ever!)
Nate wins the prize for best surprise gift though - A Kitchen Aid for ME!!!  You have no idea how long I've been wanting one of these!!   He was so sneaky about wrapping it and hiding it - I didn't even notice it until Christmas morning!  I'm pretty possessive of it, can you tell?  Thank you, Honey!
After all the presents were unwrapped, we got busy playing, building, reading, and enjoying all our new things.  We are so spoiled!
The boys took Clayton's new "Wubble" ball out in the backyard and popped it within 5 minutes!

They flew the remote control UFO.
Eliza loves her new book by Shannon Hale - "The Princess in Black".

Isaac disappeared for a few hours to build his new Lego ATAT.
But the best fun of all came in a sack from aunt Becca - snowballs!
These kids had a blast with one snowball fight after the next.  They were hilarious to watch.  Who needs real snow when you have this!

Here's a video clip of them in action!
Let it snow!  Let it snow!  Let it snow!
So thankful this time of year. . . Merry Christmas to one and all!

3 comments:

April & Anthony Callison said...

We just discovered "Princess in Black" and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If you know of any other cute princess books, let me know. Not a huge fan of Disney princesses, but Brooke loves them all. She's only 2 -- so it's a whole new uncharted territory for us.

Emily said...

I know! Love that book too - everything about it. I'm hoping Shannon Hale continues the series. . .

Unknown said...

So glad to see they enjoyed the snowballs!