Monday, March 2, 2015

A Grand and Delightful Lady

First Lady Barbara Bush came to visit her namesake school in February. She comes every year to read to the children and talk with them. I was lucky enough to see her this year (now you know the real reason I signed up to be the PTO secretary!)  She is an absolutely delightful person with such class!  She is an all around great example of goodness, kindness, and family values.  Our country is better off because of Mrs. Bush.  What a grand lady!  The preparation that goes into her visit every year is truly amazing.  This year Mrs. Bush came on Chinese New Year, so the school made that the theme of her visit.  Everyone wore red and the whole school was decorated with student-created Chinese art.  It looked spectacular!  Eliza and four other children performed a Chinese dragon dance. There were Chinese poetry readings and the school choir performed. But the highlight of the whole event was really the question and answer session. The children were able to ask Mrs. Bush questions and her answers were always thoughtful, charming, and very witty. Even at age 90 she doesn't miss a beat!
One of my favorite moments was when a girl asked if the myth about ghosts in the White House was true.  Mrs. Bush (thinking the girl had said "goats") replied happily, "Oh yes! I have seen them!  But they usually don't come in the house.  They just stay outside on the lawn and eat the grass."  The children were amazed by her answer and all looked wide-eyed at each other, while all the teachers chuckled knowingly.
The artwork done by the students was incredible.



Anne was a fantastic host!  She did a great job with all the narration and got to shake the First Lady's hand.
Mrs. Bush brought her two adorable dogs which, of course, the kids just went nuts over. 



Eliza was so excited to do the "Five Little Dragons" dance for Mrs. Bush.


She was adorable in her costume!


I spotted Brigham in the crowd.
And Isaac.

The school choir sang.
All the children held up colorful dragons on cue during the Chinese poetry presentation.
And, of course, everyone had a question for Mrs. Bush.

Another favorite moment was when this cute girl from Brigham's class gave an address in Mandarin and Mrs. Bush answered back in perfect Mandarin!  She is a remarkable woman.
Her secret service agents stayed very watchful and close.  This one checked the windows every five minutes.  When some asked her what she thought about having secret service men she said, "I like them. They're wonderful men.  I like always feeling safe.  I also like always having a parking spot at the grocery store.  So yes, I like them!"
At the end, PTO president Jessica presented Mrs. Bush with a gift - A tree made out of thumb prints from all the children in the school.
Thank you Mrs. Bush for visiting our school!  We are so proud to be your namesake!

No comments: