Sunday, March 1, 2015

February Quote Book 2015

Clayton has been really into soccer this year. He plays everyday. And when he's not playing he's talking about it. Today he told me:
"If there were lots of me, enough to make two teams, I would play myself in soccer. And that would be awesome because every me would be in the right place at the right time on every play. The problem with soccer is not the game itself. It's all the other people. You can never guess what they're about to do."
that's the problem with life too. but. . . it also keeps the game interesting.


We all got hit with the flu hard this week. While I was taking care of Lydia after several bouts of throwing up, she started mumbling:
"Fwoh up, kween up, fwoh up, kween up, fwoh up, kween up. It's a pattern!"
indeed it is. a very exhausting pattern.


Eliza: When I grow up I'm going to have 10 children. 5 boys and 5 girls.
Lydia: When I gwo up I going to hab 10 childwen too.
Eliza: What are their names?
Lydia: Da boys names are Taynem, Baynem, Krayshem, Nayshem, and Mayhem.
lets hope they don't all live up to their names. . .


The girls always ask me to tell them stories about when I was a little girl. They especially love to hear stories about all my animals. So after telling them about "Snowball" my pet mouse that got eaten by the cat when I neglected it in the sandbox for a few minutes and my pet rabbit "Scratchy" who was so mean (thus the name!) we had to give him away, Lydia piped up with her own story:
"Now, I'm going to tell you about when I was a widdoh girl. One time I had a pet mouse named "Snowball" and I took weally good cayoh of it. I nevoh left it awone in the sandbox and it nevoh got eaten by a cat. The end. Then I had a pet wabbit named "Scwatchy" but he was a weally nice wabbit and he nevoh scwatched anyone. We kept him fowevoh. The end."
trumped once again by my toddler.


Nate and I were talking about the upcoming PTO event. Lydia interrupted with a stomp of her foot and announced:
"I hate PTO! It's too long and too boring and too thirsty!"
poor girl. can you tell she's been sitting through long PTO meetings with me this year?


Every morning, after Nate finishes scripture reading with the kids at breakfast, he asks them if they have any questions. And every morning for months Lydia asks the same completely off-topic question:
"Why do people get married?"
Great question, right? But after months of this, it's become a very funny family joke. Still, we all come up with new and thoughtful answers every morning. This morning she added another question:
"Also, why do people get baptized?"
Great question, right? We all gave thoughtful answers to that too. And then she replied,
"No, it's because you get to wear a white dress when you get baptized and when you get married."
all along. . . it's been about the dress.


Eliza and Lydia were combing Nate's hair. I walked in and said, "Oh, you look so handsome!"
to which Eliza quickly replied,
"He looked more handsomer when he got married."
uh. thank you? I think?


Isaac has been reading and studying like crazy for Name That Book tryouts. The day after he took the test I found him completely engrossed in one of the required NTB books. I said, "Isaac, you took the test already and you don't even know yet if you made it on the team! You don't need to study those books today." He looked at me confused said, "I know, but I love these books." Then after a pause he looked up again and said, "I'm in it for the books, mom." 
oh the lessons we learn from our children. what wise advice: be in it for the books. or the music. or the game. whatever you're doing, be in it for the right reasons.


Nate sent roses for Valentine's Day. The girls opened the door when they arrived.
Eliza: Wow, it says "for Emily". Who sended you those?
Me: I don't know, I guess daddy did.
Eliza: Your daddy?
Me: No yours.
Eliza: Daddy sended them to us?
Me: Well, he sent them to me.
Eliza: Oh you mean Nate sended them to you. When you love each other you have to say Nate.
Lydia: Yeah, or Nay-fun. Sometimes you can say Nay-fun.
what's in a name, right? a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

No comments: