Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sarah Palin, Motherhood, And The Source Of The Nile

First of all, this is not really about Sarah Palin, Motherhood, or the Source of the Nile. It's really about ME! ME! ME! Because I'm awesome. And because I take everything - everything personally
. . . and because I'm awesome.

I never read political blogs. (You wouldn't have to either if you were married to walking, breathing political commentary) But, like the rest of the universe, I perked up when Sarah Palin was announced. I like Sarah P. because hey! I'm a small town girl too. But there are two main (conservative) reasons why some bloggers think Palin should not be VP:
1) She lacks experience with the big dogs in the political arena.
true. true. But hey! don't all young politicians? She's gotta get experience somewhere - may as well be the white house!
2) She's a mom.
Ouch, I felt that. But okay fine - I can buy this argument.

The thing is, whenever I think about *recognized* women who really made a difference in the world I feel a small pang thinking about my own inconsequential life. And I remember my teaching days in the inner-city (years ago) when I felt smart, needed, and had a sense of mission. I also know (as Sarah Palin must) that being a good teacher (or VP or whatever) is much harder when you are also a committed mother with young children.
So I've been thinking about the value of motherhood - and my own current "lack of experience" in the working world. (I am picturing myself interviewing for a job with my WAY out of style wardrobe and my totally outdated resume. "And how long have you been doing nothing? I mean, been out of the workforce??" my interviewer will ask looking down her nose at my resume. Uhhhh. . . I'm feeling worthless and "lacking experience" just thinking about it.)

But wait a minute! I realized that the reasons Sarah Palin should or should not be up for VP don't really matter - I could argue either way. The real question (all you political bloggers) is this:
Doesn't the "experience" of being a talented (or at least a determined) mom count for anything? Shouldn't it *distinctly* qualify anyone (in many ways) for the White House???
Heck.
Yeah.
Let's face it. Motherhood is probably the best school for thought (worry), patience, planning, quick thinking, compassion, compromise, discipline, fairness, selflessness, leadership, order, and influence. Wouldn't any country be better off with a determined mother in charge? I have learned more about human nature and relationships, the world, morality, and myself (not to mention being calm and collected in the middle of craziness) as a mother than I did in all my years of study and teaching. And I definitely work harder. So how long have I been out of the workforce? you ask?? Let me just look at my watch. Um, about 4 minutes.
. . .

I never watch IMAX movies anywhere but an IMAX theater. However, I just watched "Mystery of the Nile" (an IMAX film documenting a group of explorers on their 3,260 mile death-defying voyage by raft from the source of the Nile in Ethiopia to Egypt and the Mediterranean) on our 4-inch portable DVD player. There were two women on the expedition. A journalist from Germany and an archaeologist from Spain. And I couldn't help admire them - with a little envy. I felt a small pang again as I remembered my younger, freer, and more adventurous self gallivanting around Ethiopia, jeeping along the rugged, war-torn Eritrean border where the ark of the covenant is supposedly hidden, biking through the streets of Cairo, and scuba diving in the Mediterranean. Hmmm. That definitely feels far away now. No mountains or rivers here - unless you count my mountain of laundry and the river of Legos on the stairs. No hidden ancient treasure - unless you count the entire roll of quarters I pried out of the AC vent in my car. No exotic tribal performances - unless you count Brigham's popsicle-painted tummy dance. No certificate of accomplishment - unless you count the googley-faced picture Isaac drew especially for me. And no hair-raising experiences - unless you count my daily heart-attacks watching Spido-Clayton jump, swing, climb, and dive all over our house.

And yet I wouldn't trade those moments for all the adventures or prestige in the world. I wouldn't trade ONE SMIDGE! Because I just can't imagine EVER missing this:


or this.

or this.

And because being a mom is definitely already a lot like being President (just without the media attention and world decision-making) and because I have definitely already found the source of my Nile. . .

And it's not in Ethiopia.

-

18 comments:

NOBODY said...

If I was a man, and you weren't married, I would totally want to marry you. :)

I don't read political blogs for the exact same reason you don't. And yet, I feel insanely overinformed. As i'm sure you do.

The is an awesome post. Mostly because you are awesome.

I want to print your first paragraph and cross-stitch it, and frame it. Hilarious.

Followed by pure awesome post-age. Not postage. Post-age.

becca said...

Another awesome post- I love reading your blog. If Nathan never runs for President then you definitely should- you'd have my vote!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

hmmm, you *would* make a great first lady...

Great post Em :)

Michelle said...

That was a great post. You ARE awesome!!

Jay said...

I do think the greatest gaffe of any Sarah Palin critic would be to marginalize her role as a mother and her status as a woman. I thought it was interesting that Rwanda requires 1/3 of its parliament to be women because they believe women in power would never allow another genocide to occur. I don't know if that is true or not, but it seems to be their concept that the road to peace would be to put mothers in power?

Emily said...

I just added a few pictures of Lalibela and Tissisat Falls - the source of the Blue Nile in Ethiopia.

But if you've gotten this far, I guess you've already seen them.

Also - ha ha thanks nobody. You have to know that getting comments from you is the second reason why I live. I mean blog.

The Gunnerson Family said...

Exactly! As I said this summer, sometimes I feel totally useless in "THE world" because I have been at home having and raising kids for the last 6 years, but the truth is that I wouldn't have it any other way (most days at least.) Please, please, please write a book. I'll buy it, I promise.

Emily said...

Actually I've been thinking about our conversation ever since! And I TOTALLY thought about you while writing this. So since you were definitely my inspiration, I promise I'll dedicate my first book to you.

Jessica McKay said...

I needed that. Thanks! I was just reading my sis-in-law's blog and she is headed back to work (bored with being "just a mom"), I'm glad to know that you are right were I"m at, even if we are a few states away. Enjoy the Legos!

Melissa said...

Emily,you ARE awesome.....and I'm not just saying that because I am your mother. You are not only an awesome mother, but an awesome writer (and you didn't get THAT from me!).I used to hate filling in that box on forms that asked for your profession. Then for awhile I felt relieved when I could put "teacher" in the box after "profession"; now I boldly (and a little defiantly) print "MOTHER, GRANDMOTHER AND HOMEMAKER"(if there is room).
With kids as cute as yours, it's pretty hard not to be a proud grandma!
I think you would be a great president. Boy, would Isaac love the publicity!

Christina said...

Emily, way t put things into perspective. Thank you so much. You have have so many experiences and talents that your boys are all the richer for.

Unknown said...

Man, that is one scary lion!

Sheralie said...

I think we are on the same page. Being a Mom is a happy work. I am glad we are in this together!

Gina said...

Okay I was just thinking how I needed to post something on my mom blog from you because you are awesome and just so good at this motherhood thing (and you can write, photograph, and blog)! Tell me when you're running for an office and I will totally vote you in!

Gina said...

haha okay that last post was from Rochelle-I'm just signed in under my mom account that I never use. (just so you don't get worried that you have a crazy stalker out there)

Emily said...

I knew it was you - I love your real momma blog and your kids. Both of which gave you away! :)

Emily said...

Oh, and thanks for your compliments - I definitely feel the same way about you, Rochelle!!!!

MariLouise said...

Ahhh, your brilliant prose always brings a smile.

I'll just say this: I'm not convinced on the Sarah Palin front, BUT, if YOU were ever to run for President, you would definitely, definitely have my vote.

And my "piano money."