Monday, April 20, 2009

Crumbs In My Bed

Here's a typical 4:00 A.M. conversation at our house:

"Mommy?. . . Mommy?" comes a sweet little voice from the top of the stairs.

No answer. (except the inaudible groan coming from me - in bed.)

"Mommy?" comes the voice a little louder - face pushed against the banisters.

"What, Isaac. . ." as I stumble to the stairs.

"Um. There's crumbs in my bed."

"Okay. Just brush them off and go back to sleep." squinting up at him in the moonlight.

"I did. But there's too many." slightly whining.

"Try again. Goodnight."
4 minutes later.

"Mommy?. . . Mommy?" comes a loud, annoyed voice from the top of the stairs.

"Grrrrrr" comes my audible growl as I climb out of bed again.

"What!"

"There's still crumbs in my bed and Clayton says he's too tired to help me brush them off." definitely whining.

"You woke up Clayton?? Grrrrr. Okay. Just spread a blanket out over the crumbs and. . . wait. . . why are there crumbs in your. . .? Never mind. Just put a blanket over it and sleep on top, alright? Goodnight."

2 minutes later

"Idic! Dat's MY bwanket!!! Ahhhhhhhh Idic!! Idic took my bwanket!!! MOMMMMMMY!"

Yelling from my bed, "Isaac! Give Brigham's blanket back!"

More screams from upstairs. Nate rolls over with the pillow on his head.
I tromp upstairs. Hands on hips. To find everyone awake.

I take one. . . look. . . at Isaac's bed.

"Isaac!!*** Why on earth are there crumbs in your bed???. . . ???
Have you been eating that candy necklace?? I thought I took it away!" (the one he got at a birthday party. Yeah. The one I confiscated because he was using it as a whip and a lasso - on his brother.)

"No. No, I didn't. I promise! Clay got it down for me. I didn't eat it. I just wore it. See?"
(grabbing the sticky - empty- string around his neck.)
"Hey! Who ate MY CANDY NECKLACE!!!!! ARRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!" charging at his brother.

Holding back the attack, "Um. Let me see your neck. Yup. That's what happens when you wear a candy necklace to bed . . . and sweat."


I clean up the millions of partially dissolved candy pieces.
On all fours.
And send everyone back to bed - with their correct blankets.
On the double!

4:55 A.M.

Nate rolls over and asks, "Is everything okay upstairs?"

Yup. Sweet as candy.

Ahhh, I pull up the blankets, snuggle down deeper, and then. . .
feeling something on my pajama pants. . .

get up again to brush a

few

stray

candy crumbs

out of my bed.

.

5 comments:

Christina said...

At one point in the story, I kind of liked the idea of one brother sneaking bites of the candy necklace off his sleeping brother's neck. But the picture of the candy streaked neck is just as good.

Nikki said...

That is funny.!!!

Allison said...

Ha ha ha, Isaac cracks me up, all his antics always make me laugh!

Anonymous said...

LOL

I too have a middle of the night candy eater...I posted about it here:

http://okierivermama.livejournal.com/2008/09/18/

enjoy and it has to get better right?
LOL
steff

Emily said...

In case you're wondering. Yes. I sent him to school with that rainbow around his neck. And yes. It stained the collar of his shirt.