Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Meanwhile

Two days after arriving home from our marathon road trip, I turned my minivan around and headed back to San Antonio for my cousins wedding. By myself. The six hours I spent driving alone were absolute heaven. . . (sigh).
I didn't fuss with the DVD player or sing rollicking camp songs into the rear view mirror. I didn't listen to Frog And Toad on repeat. Or barrel off the highway in panic at the words, "I have pee pee!". I didn't scan every exit for a McDonalds or explain to the whiny faces behind me why, after driving all day, we were still in Texas.
No. I listened to nothing - except my own uninterrupted thoughts. I ate delicious Mexican cuisine. I even had time to finish my meal. And I spent a lovely day with my very favorite cousins in the whole wide universe. Chatting (not chasing). Reminicing (not refereeing). And mingling (not managing).
The next Saturday, I also left by myself to volunteer at the church cannery (and stock up on food storage). I was gone again for most of the day. . .


My favorite twin cousins, Chris and Jesse.
You should have seen the three of us as kids at the ranch. . . Ah, the glory days!




MEANWHILE. . .


Nate, the SuperHusband-SuperDad, was holding down the fort at home - with all the children. While I was in San Antonio I recieved 4 messages on my cell phone:

1) "Honey? Do you remember where I put my laptop? Call me."

2) "okay, Isaac what's 2 + 2? no. it's not five. look. . . see? you're turn. (rustle, rustle, CLANK!) What was that? Brigham? (shuffle, shuffle) I told you not to climb on that! (whine, whine) Okay, did you get it Isaac? (10 more minutes of breathing, singing in the background, muffled talking, and more rustling)" - I didn't listen to the whole thing.

3) "Never mind. I found it."

4) Hi Honey. I saw that you called. Sorry. I had to go into work."

Yes. Nate took ALL the kids with him to work. AND HE ACTUALLY WORKED!!!! There is no end to this man's capabilities. While watching Star Wars on the laptop at work, Isaac lost his first tooth! Which, from what I heard, caused quite a hullabaloo in the office.


And THIS is what I found after coming home from the cannery.
After being ambushed in the driveway.
Notice: 1) the children are still in their pajamas. (even after I set out clothes for them). 2) They're soaking wet. 3) Uhh, I'm sure you can guess what the house looked liked inside.




So here's what I learned. I love these crazy people and feel a small pang missing out on even the teeniest-tiniest moments (like Isaac losing his first tooth, or a pajama-commando water fight). And yeah, it's oh-so-nice to get away sometimes. But when all is said and done, it's even nicer to come home. . . even if it's to a big mess.

.

4 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

As I sit and look at your blog, I sit ALONE! All ALONE! Everyone is in Bear Lake on vacation. I was there too, but I had to come home to my new job for a couple of days, so I came home ALONE! Somehow the 2 1/2 hour drive home alone seemed faster than the drive there. This day ALONE has gone by so quickly. I haven't even used my vocal chords for hours. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
That being said: I have called Rick about 10 times in the last 30 hours, and I can't wait to kiss my babies again tomorrow morning.

It looks like Nate did a great job of holding down the fort. I am sure that I can imagine what the house looked liked, but I can also imagine that the boys had the time of their little lives being with dad.

Russ Cannon said...

Please thank Nate for watching the kids and letting you come join us in San Antonio. It was nice to have you with us in the temple and fun to have you join us for lunch.

Christina said...

WOuld you ever have guessed when you were picturing your future that the cannery would feel like a mini vacation?

Karl once called me to ask where the remote was.

Unfortunately, my kids have learned how to call me now. Samuel called today wondering where my phone was because he wanted to play with it. Couldn't get it through to him that there was no way he could be talking to me if my phone was at home.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you were able to go to Nate's wedding (and that you made it in time). The video clip of Nathan with the boys looks like a "Mormon Ad"...."Family. Isn't it about TIME?" Thanks to Nathan for watching the boys.