Because I know that years from now when Eliza spits I won't think it's so cute and I'll miss my baby. And years from now when Brigham's cute high-pitched voice disappears I'll miss all those little songs. And years from now when Isaac outgrows flying robots and magical cars, I'll miss dear Chitty. And years from now, when Clayton is a starving musician trying to eke out a career as a low-budget movie composer, I'll miss his tinkering at the piano.
So, with that said, here are some of our newest tricks and talents:
Eliza's Tricks:
- Clapping (and spitting) on demand.
- Undoing (and eating) my watch in 3 seconds flat.
Eliza is a full-fledged member of the entertainment committee now. She's a hoot! The boys jockey for her attention and, as you can see, it doesn't take a lot of coaxing to get her to clap, spit, scream, or giggle!
Eliza has become a watch-necklace-bracelet-ring klepto. Yup, she's definitely a girl with an eye for jewelry and fancy shoes. Her little fingers work like crazy! She can undo my watch or her shoes (or her diaper. or the doctors stethoscope. or our neighbors jangly necklace.) and have it in her mouth in 3 seconds flat! Now that's a trick!



Brigham's Tricks:
- Singing the Alphabet backwards.
- Pretending to be the family dog.
Brigham sang this for my sweet 80-year-old Visiting Teacher. I thought she'd like it but instead she shook her head disapprovingly and said, "Oh dear! What is the world coming to! Is that what kids are learning these days?"
I had to break it to her that yes, the world has finally come to this. The alphabet is now backwards.
I had to break it to her that yes, the world has finally come to this. The alphabet is now backwards.
My kids are really going through a dog phase. They want a dog. They beg for a dog. And when I tell them no, they pretend to be dogs. Brigham has been a dog for several days now and has single-handedly obliterated my "good table manners" training.

Isaac's Tricks:
- His enduring love for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
- Authoring his first book.
Here is Isaac reading the book he just authored. It's called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. What? Someone already wrote that book? Shhhh. Don't tell Isaac.
I'm glad Chitty still resurfaces every now and again.

Clayton's Tricks:
- Procrastinating.
- Tinkering instead of practicing.
Here is Clayton's newest composition, "Space Adventure".
He discovered John Williams. Can you tell?
He discovered John Williams. Can you tell?

My Trick:
- Providing hours of FREE entertainment by introducing the kids to wire hangers and duct tape.
We learned about "simple machines" for Science Club last week. The kids made their own whirligig machines. Here they are in action.
Now really. . .
Aren't we all so clever?
Aren't we all so clever?
.
7 comments:
Wow, I'm super impressed with Clayton's piano skills, that's awesome! Rivaled only by Eliza's miraculous ability to clap on command. She's obviously brilliant as well. ;) The kiddos are darling- way to go on all of the tricks!
No matter how many other children in the world are doing the same thing (although I really don't imagine any other children quite like those Smith boys) it is ALWAYS special when it is your own. You are the best Em. I wish you were coming "home" this summer so I could see you again.
Haha, I love Brigham's spaghetti face! I remember the days of make believe....at least he isn't really eating dog food (like I may or may not have done at his age).
Ha! I'd forgotten about your dog-food-eating days.
Yeah. . . at LEAST he's not eating that (yet).
I don't think other kids are as talented as yours! I love the way you post about their talents and how well I feel I know them even though we don't get to see you guys that often. I am glad Chitty resurfaces now and again too, I think it really makes Mark happy. Tell all the kids I love watching them in videos and seeing pictures and to keep up the awesome tricks and talents!
You're guys' talents are awesome! Especially Eliza's. Ever watched Doctor Who? British sci-fi series with aliens and spaceships and stuff. Deborah and I love the music on it. I think Clayton's Space Adventure would fit in perfectly- maybe he can be a low budget composer for Doctor Who someday.
~Jesse (signed in as Deb)
Nate watched the whirligig video and said, "hmm. I was skeptical that thing would impress the children at all. . . but yep. They're totally entertained by it."
Post a Comment