Tuesday, August 10, 2010

4th of July and People We Love


The Fourth of July was how long ago? I'm so backlogged. And I really like to stay current on here. But. . . we only travel once a year. And I savor these days, these moments, these not-often-enough occasions. . . when I'm with family. I love July. I dream about July. Even when it's August.


From San Diego, we drove as fast as we could (without any speeding tickets this time - woohooo!) to Utah. . .


stopping briefly for this. . .


and a little of this. . .


and detouring slightly through the city of Bunkerville, founded by our famous Mormon Battalion ancestor, Edward Bunker. . .


to see Jenny and Mark bless their newest baby boy (little Timmy) on the 4th of July. Amazingly, the whole family was there (minus mom and dad - sniffle, sniffle). I LOVE reasons to get together. . .


especially cute reasons like this.


The boys had a great time (as always) with their cousins. . .


playing, climbing, running, sliding, rolling, and doing all the things that Mommy Cannon says should never be done in church clothes.


like kamikaze wagon rides. . .


that end in broken wagons and lots of grass stains. Sorry Jenny.


Eliza was happy to be held by everyone. But preferred Grandma Joycie (and her jewelry) above all.


And I enjoyed just being together. . . with everyone. . . again.


We also spent the day visiting Nate's grandparents.


Grandpa Jack and Grandma Nina in Provo.


And Nona in Salt Lake.


Where Eliza was showered with more kisses and hugs and jewelry to play with.


We love visiting grandparents!


And wish we lived closer to visit more often.


On the 5th of July, we headed up to Oakley for our annual Cannon family reunion and the famous Oakley parade. . .


where the kids loaded up on saltwater taffy. . .


and I basked in nostalgia remembering my own parade-celebrity days.


Nowadays, though, I enjoy watching my kids even more. Especially Eliza clapping and laughing with her foot up (so cute) like that. . .


and Brigham hootin' and hollerin' for more candy.




I asked the kids to tell me their favorite part of the parade.
They all gave one-word, mouth-full-of-taffy answers:
Brigham: candy
Isaac: cars
Clayton: cousins


The Cannon clan gets bigger and bigger every year.


And every year the field is opened wider for more parking. And more and more chairs and relatives adorn the front lawn.


But It's always great to see cousins, uncles, aunts. . .


and chat or sing. . .


in between fishing the kids out of the pond (Isaac fell in twice!) and untangling them from the poison ivy. . .


while eating delicious food. . .


right off the barbecue.
(uncle Richard must've cooked more than 200 burgers and dogs.)


Life just doesn't get any better. . .


except when my parents are around. (we MISSED you!!!) Sorry, Grandpa Tim. I had to fill in for you as the designated 6-wheeler driver. The grand-kids were disappointed that I didn't take them on a real ride. Meaning, I didn't scale the riverbank or plummet through the ditch or balance precariously over boulders and logs - like you do.


But we did manage to get all 12 grandchildren in the same place for a picture. Here's the line-up. Brigham (4) Evan (10) Clara (6) Catie (1) Vivien (8) Eliza (9 mo.) Clayton (7) Jordan (4) Brian (2) Timmy (5 wks) Isaac (5) Matthew (3)


And now I saved my favorite two pictures for last. Pictures I want to frame. Pictures that make my heart smile. . . every time.

Beautiful Eyes.


Best Buds.


Did I mention I love July? I do. I love July.
.

7 comments:

Drew said...

With4 hours of sleep last night and a 12 hour work day ahead of me this is just what I needed to start my day - thanks. And I love the bank one...

Drew said...

Clarification: "bank one" - quotes in previous post. "just what I needed" - catching up on your blog for a few minutes

The Gunnerson Family said...

What a fun time! I also love to get together with my family. It is so fun/rewarding to have grown into adults and see your kids play with their cousins. I love it! I am so glad that we were included on your stop in Utah. Thanks SO MUCH for taking time to come see me. I love to talk, even if it is only once a year.

Emily said...

ugh! we feel your pain, Drew.

Olivia - our stop at your place was TOO SHORT!!! I'm used to our long (all night) talks after Harry Potter! It was still great to see you and your new beautiful home. Can't wait until next Summer. . .

Jenny said...

I love July too, because you are here to play with! We miss miss miss you and the kids.

Allison said...

Awww, I am so sad that I missed most of your trip here. At least we had a couple days though. I LOVE the picture of Jordie and Brigham. I wish you lived closer so that they could play together more often.

Nikki said...

Sounds like a fun trip. And just so you feel better, We are still trying to catch up on blogging our 4th of July trip>