Friday, October 22, 2010

We Love Company!

Especially when it's family.

I grew up surrounded by cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents. . . I even knew my second cousins and distant relatives! They all lived close. And visited often. My grandparents helped me with homework and school projects, took me on special outings and trips, and were a constant and direct influence in my life. My cousins were my best friends. And my aunts and uncles knew me almost as well as their own children. It helped that we lived permanently on the family ranch which meant a constant flow of relatives visiting us on weekends and all throughout the summer. I loved it. And sometimes I long for it. I wish my kids could play with their cousins as often as I did. I wish they could see their grandparents more than once or twice a year. But here we are - lone ducks - so so far away from family.

Living in the Lone Star state definitely has a double meaning for me. So I'm especially glad when my family ventures all the way down here, for no other reason, but to visit us. I guarantee we'll run you ragged - it's no vacation at our house. But we'll never forget your visit. Thank you Grandpa Bill and Becca for traveling cross-country to visit us on such a special weekend. We feel so loved.


And thanks for taking awesome pictures (like always), Becca. Here are a few of my favorites:


I love those chocolate eyes!


I'm glad you got a few shots of Clayton's soccer game. . .


especially this one of the younger boys on the sidelines (and their posse) blasting off into outer space on a piece of random football equipment.


We miss you already and can't wait to see you again!
Even from far away your presence and influence in our life is still felt constantly.


We love you always. . .
.

3 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

It is hard to live away, especially when you grew up like we did and KNOW what it can be like with family around. I'm so glad that occasionally family can come and visit to help you feel a little more connected.

Oh, and I loved Eliza's party. It shows that every once in a while (yes sometimes it takes YEARS)you are actually human. It makes me feel like we can truly be kindred spirits again.

Melissa said...

This blog entry made me homesick as well. I miss being around those boys, and now that my arm is getting better, I am wishing I could hold Eliza and play with her. I'm so glad there was some family there for those special days.
...and about the girl-screaming....I remember it well!

Emily said...

Yeah, I wish we didn't live on opposite sides of the country. We think about you (and miss you) constantly!!!!